Assistant to Councillors
Assistant to CouncillorsContract/Job Rotation
(Up to December 2022)
Contract/Job Rotation (up to December 2022)
This position is responsible for coordinating the administrative, public relations and communications functions requested by specific ward Councillors. Assistants to Councillors must maintain an appreciation of Corporate perspective and position on issues while providing direct assistance to Councillors as required, working within a small team to share the support of six members of City Council. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to a customer first approach, the incumbent will support the City’s commitment to economic prosperity and community responsive growth management.
The incumbent is responsible to:
- Provide a wide range of administrative and other support to Councillors including, but not limited to, preparing and monitoring budgets, planning for events, responding to inquiries from a range of internal and external stakeholder, coordinating team and Councillor calendars, addressing corporate and Council priorities and coordinating travel arrangements for workshop and conference attendance.
- Assist in ensuring that the office is accessible to constituents though regular and consistent hours of operation, responding appropriately to inquiries from the general public, community organizations, business representatives and staff in a timely and effective manner and addressing complaints by investigating the issue and consulting with the Councillor as required. and maintain a comprehensive contact list for Councillors’ use.
- Attend meetings with or on behalf of the Councillor such as ward advisory committees, citizen committee and advisory committees, other community groups and initiatives.
- Participate in communication-related functions such as developing correspondence, staff communications, newsletters, web updates and social media communications. Draft articles for City Talk as well as remarks on behalf of Councillors.
- Develop Councillor information on the corporate web site, ensuring that Councillor communications meet corporate branding expectations.
- Proactively stay current on related issues, actions and outcomes and conduct research, including internet research, on ward specific issues.
- During an election year, adhere to all corporate policies relating to election policies and protocols.
- Serve as a support to other Councillor Assistants and Council/corporate functions and duties as required
- We seek candidates with significant administrative experience related to the duties listed above normally acquired through the completion of a post-secondary course of study in public administration or a related discipline and three to five years’ experience providing high-level administrative support. Candidates with equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Along with a track record of providing proactive, customer-centric service, the successful candidate will possess excellent communication skills (oral and written) to communicate effectively with multiple stakeholders with a wide range of competing priorities and agendas. Social media capability is required to update and manage content through social media tools. Proven ability to exercise discretion, good judgement, diplomacy and confidentiality is essential.
- Strong organizational skills as a self-starter with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work well under pressure, complete multiple assignments and thrive in a high-volume workplace with multiple deadlines and a necessity for a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent customer service skills (oral and written) with the ability to communicate effectively with members of City Council, City committees, staff and Burlington residents.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint).
- Ability to deliver on a work plan comprised of day-to-day tasks as well as projects related to strategic corporate and departmental work.
- Experience working with AMANDA software is considered an asset.
$64,028 - $80,035 (Grade 9)
Posting Close Date
December 6, 2019
How to Apply
To apply, please visit www.burlington.ca/careers and click on “View Jobs”. Please note that applications are only accepted online. If you require assistance, please contact Human Resources at 905-335-7602.
An equal opportunity employer