Economic Development Officer
Economic Development Officer
The Regional District of Kitimat-Stikine is the second largest Regional District in BC. At over 100,000 sq. km. it is a vast region that is on the verge of an economic boom, mostly due to the mining and liquified natural gas industries.
We are seeking an Economic Development Officer (EDO) to join our team and be the District’s lead in creating and facilitating innovative economic opportunities for the Kitimat-Stikine region. Based out of Terrace, you will work closely with the regional community, businesses, potential investors, organizations, First Nations, and educational institutions as the principal Regional District promoter and contact for business development. You support local employment development through the facilitation, promotion, and enhancement of existing economic sectors including industry, and you showcase the attraction of new investment into the Kitimat-Stikine. In addition, you will work with the region to assist in the provision of various tourism related services. These are generally community and electoral area driven.
We are looking to round out our team with someone who has a proven track record in business and community development, business retention and attraction, and economic growth and diversification. The ideal candidate will have:
- Relevant Post-Secondary Diploma or Degree and/or equivalent experience in an economic development position.
- Excellent writing and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced computer skills including extensive experience with Microsoft Office, Website development and desktop publishing software.
- Experience in writing successful grant proposals. Experience in making presentations and interacting with the public and the media. Experience in event and project management
- Knowledge of local trails network and forest lands
- Driver's License, vehicle and willingness to travel outside the community as necessary.
The scope of the position, in its broadest terms, is as follows:
- Business Inquiries: Inquiries, information requests and compilation of statistical information of a regional nature. Production of region-wide business information publications, (e.g. Census booklets, Regional Economic Profiles, Regional Resource Inventory Map)
- Impact Assessment: Impact assessments of major development proposals.
- Infrastructure Development: Infrastructure development issues (e.g. Terrace-Kitimat Airport improvements, transportation, communications & utilities issues)
- Promotions: Region-wide promotions (e.g. regional forest industry video, regional tourism promotions (International Investors Forum)
- Conferences: Sponsoring of general interest conferences. (e.g. past projects in small mines development, offshore tourism opportunities, value-added wood products seminar)
- Sectoral Research: Research and marketing of specific economic sectors
- Promotions: Promotional projects limited to function member areas, (e.g. Hazelton’s tourism brochures, Stewart-Cassiar Highway tourism brochures-, Stewart & Hazelton industrial brochures)
- Strategies: Community economic strategies applicable to function member areas, (e.g. Stewart Economic Development Strategy, Hazelton’s and Greater Terrace Marketing Plans, Community Economic Profiles)
- Sectoral Research: Research projects or studies limited to function member area
This position offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package.
The Regional District of Kitimat-Stikine wishes to thank you for your interest and advises that only candidates under active consideration will be contacted.
Interested individuals are requested to submit their letter of application and resume by mail, or email to the Regional District Kitimat- Stikine by 4:30 pm on December 20, 2019.
Applicants should apply to:
Regional District Kitimat – Stikine
Suite 300 – 4545 Lazelle Avenue
Terrace, B.C., V8G 4E1