Manager, Community Recreation Services
The City of Richmond is a diverse and dynamic community in pursuit of our vision
to be the most appealing, livable and well-managed community in Canada.
People l Excellence l Leadership l Team l Innovation
Imagine a career with the City of Richmond, a dynamic environment for growth and continuous improvement, fostered by our collective strengths and creativity. We are a vibrant, diverse cosmopolitan city, supported by a strong economy and recognized as leaders in innovation and service delivery excellence. The City of Richmond is committed to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset – our people. This is a great opportunity to join our team and shape our community.
Manager, Community Recreation Services
Job ID: 2019334
$111,877 - $139,846 Annually
The City of Richmond’s Community Services division is driven by a vision to create a connected, energetic and engaged community. We focus on providing recreational programming and services that promote an active and healthy lifestyle, which has helped Richmond maintain the longest life expectancy in Canada!
Reporting to the Director, Recreation and Sport Services, the Manager, Community Recreation Services is a senior leadership position, managing a diverse staff team providing community based recreation services to meet identified needs. Central to this role is the delivery of a comprehensive range of programs and services through a collaborative and relationship based approach, in a dynamic and thriving work environment within the City of Richmond.
This position will focus on ensuring that community recreation needs are met, by identifying opportunities to develop and maintain physical, social and mental wellness, as well as life skill development through ensuring that services are affordable, accessible and provide opportunities for social interaction. This is achieved through:
- Balanced provisions of recreation programs and services;
- Managing human resources which includes effective hiring, performance management, and staff development;
- Providing advisory services and leadership both directly and indirectly to community association Boards involved in the delivery of recreation services;
- Financial management including operating and capital budget planning and monitoring;
- Analysis of operations and projects to ensure effective and efficient use of resources and thus financial sustainability;
- Ensuring that facilities are safe, clean, well maintained, and provide for healthy environments for workers and patrons alike and ensuring patrons have high quality experiences;
- Developing and managing a wide range of relationships from formal partnerships to informal working relationships with other organizations working to provide quality of life services (Not for profit organizations, agencies, governmental organizations, private sector);
- Developing formal and informal agreements and attending regular meetings with community partners regarding the delivery of services; and
- Leading, participating in and supporting a range of departmental (Community Services) and corporate initiatives which utilize collaborative approaches with internal and external stakeholders and involving work with strategic teams, committees and task forces.
We are looking for someone that has:
- Demonstrated ability to form and maintain positive working relationships with a variety of staff, partners, stakeholders, and community interest groups.
- Considerable knowledge of the rules, regulations, policies, bylaws and objectives governing the operations of community recreation services.
- Considerable knowledge and experience in recreation facility management, customer service and human resource management.
- Ability to effectively communicate at all levels within the organization, (both verbal and written) and ability to prepare reports, recommendations and correspondence.
- Ability to integrate data, staff recommendations, corporate priorities and community input to anticipate and respond to a variety of complicated issues.
- Ability to think clearly and respond effectively in a fast paced environment and to establish and maintain sound systems for communication, service analysis and record keeping.
- Time management and effective work plan development;
- Ability to make decisions based on corporate, departmental and divisional priorities.
- Ability to lead staff to make decisions based on corporate objectives.
- Ability to work with community associations to align priorities with corporate objectives and strategies.
- Understanding operations and governance of non-profit organizations.
- Ability to assess and determine appropriate level of risk in programs and services.
- Ability to successfully clear a Police Information Check.
Bachelors Degree in Recreation, or a related discipline with a minimum of 10 years of experience in the public recreation sector, demonstrating progressive levels of responsibility and complexity of duties.
If you think this is a good fit for you, we invite you to apply today!
The City of Richmond uses an applicant tracking system for candidates wishing to view and apply for available career opportunities. For further details regarding this specific career opportunity, please visit our website at www.richmond.ca/employment Applicants will be required to upload a current resume and provide any supporting documentation relevant to the position (Word format). The closing date for Job ID: 2019334, Manager, Community Recreation Services is 11:59pm, on December 11, 2019.
The City of Richmond is an inclusive employer committed to employment equity objectives and invites applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. If you are unsuccessful, please accept our appreciation for your interest. No telephone inquiries please.