Utilityperson - Waterworks
Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Utilityperson - Waterworks
NO. OF POSITIONS:
CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK:
Monday to Friday 7:00 am – 4:00 pm*
$29.90 per hour + comprehensive benefits package
Reporting to the Supervisor, Water & Wastewater, you will perform manual maintenance, repair and installation work on the City’s waterworks system. As a Utilityperson, you will be responsible for: locating and repairing broken or leaking water services and mains; installing water services; performing maintenance on the water system such as valves, hdyrants, meters etc; constructing new mains; installing valves, sleeves and elbows; installing and repairing hydrants; cutting pipe; installing meter boxes; using tapping machines; advising contacts of water service disruption; responding independently to emergency and after hour calls, providing direction and guidance to labourers assigned to the work; and other related duties as required. As a member of the Water & Wastewater team, you may also have the opportunity to receive training in the City’s wastewater utility and provide support in the related maintenance, installation and repair work.
If the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
- Grade 12 graduation supplemented by considerable experience & knowledge in the maintenance of a municipal waterworks system, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Completion of BCWWA Water Distribution Level 1 is preferred.
- Considerable knowledge of and skill in the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the work.
- Considerable knowledge of the work site safety precautions and hazards applicable to the work.
- Effective leadership skills and the ability to delegate and oversee the work of labourers engaged in waterworks maintenance, installation and repair operations.
- Ability to understand and carry out verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to read and work from design plans, layouts and sketches, and prepare and maintain records related to the work.
- Ability to effectively perform tasks with minimal supervision and to exercise good judgment and independendance in the work performed.
- Effective conflict resolution skills.
- Exceptional customer service skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public and other contacts.
- Ability to respond to after hours emergrency calls.
- Must possess and maintain a valid BC Driver’s License.
- Must successfully pass and maintain a clear Police Information Check.
*This position participates in a compressed work week program, working an extra half hour per day, accumulating time for a day off with pay at a later date.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #19-147, by December 6, 2019 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604)527-4619 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.