Subforeperson 2 – Water
Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Subforeperson 2 – Water
NO. OF POSITIONS:
CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK:
Monday to Friday, 7:00am – 4:00pm*
$31.46 per hour + comprehensive benefits package
Reporting to the Supervisor, Water & Wastewater, you are responsible for supervising, planning, assigning, training, and assisting in the work of a crew engaged in the construction, maintenance, installation and repair of waterworks systems and related equipment and facilities. In addition, other responsibilities include directing truck and equipment operation engaged in the work supervised, assisting the supervisor in estimating and recommending project specifications, inspecting new job sites, ensuring the safety of the work crew and the public by ensuring that safety precautions and regulations are observed, preparing and maintaining related work records and other related duties as required. As a member of the Water & Wastewater team, you may also have the opportunity to receive training in the City’s wastewater utility and provide support in the related maintenance, installation and repair work.
If the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
- You have a positive, energetic “can-do” approach to work!
- Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by EOCP Water Distribution Level 2, plus considerable related experience in supervising a small staff team; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. EOCP certification must be in good standing.
- You have considerable knowledge of a water distribution system and its’ related functions and operations.
- You have considerable knowledge of and skill in the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in waterworks construction, maintenance, installation and repair.
- You have sound knowledge of the hazards, safety rules and regulations governing the work.
- Ability to perform construction, maintenance, installation and repair work on a waterworks system.
- Superior leadership skills and the ability to supervise, train and mentor subordinates, including labourers, utilitypersons, truck drivers and equipment operators.
- Demonstrated conflict resolution abilities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work from blueprints, plans and sketches, and prepare and maintain related records.
- Ability to organize projects and assist in estimating time, manpower, tools, materials and equipment required to complete assigned work.
- Strong interpersonal and teambuilding abilities in order to develop and maintain effective working relationships with your crew and other City staff.
- Exceptional customer service skills in order to interact effectively with the public and other external stakeholders.
- You have the ability to effectively perform assigned duties under minimal supervision.
- You have the ability to respond to after hours emergency situations.
- You must possess and maintain a valid BC Driver’s License.
- You must be able to pass and maintain a clear Police Information Check.
*This position participates in a compressed work week program, working an extra half hour per day, accumulating time for a day off with pay at a later date.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #19-148, by December 6, 2019 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604)527-4619 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.