City of Surrey
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, the City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building a thriving, green, inclusive city. City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive the city forward. The City of Surrey is recognized as a BC Top Employer and one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People.
The City of Surrey has an exciting opportunity for an experienced intergovernmental relations professional with excellent communications skills who is looking for a new challenge.
Reporting to the General Manager Investment and Intergovernmental Relations and working with a team of dedicated professionals in both the Investment and Intergovernmental Relations Department and the Office of the Mayor, you will support the City’s ongoing efforts in building relations with other orders of government and securing support for key City projects and initiatives.
This role will require you to perform work that is both complex and sensitive. Within a strategic framework, you will meet a variety of challenges to help ensure Mayor and Council’s vision for Surrey is both communicated and understood across a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders; serve as a liaison between the City and other orders of government; review legislation, and recommend actions to further City interests; coordinate relationship building activities; and support key City initiatives.
The Intergovernmental Liaison is responsible for the following:
- Supports Intergovernmental Relations activities and services, including assisting in the development and implementation of goals, objectives and priorities.
- Serves as a liaison; develops and enhances positive, effective relationships with other orders of government, agencies and elected officials.
- Coordinates, develops and assists with strategies on legislative and regional issues in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Maintains awareness of legislative activities affecting City operations and the potential impact on City operations; tracks Provincial and Federal legislation; anticipates legislative issues and identifies opportunities to influence policy and decisions to best meet the needs of the City and the City’s residents.
- Helps develop policy positions on government affairs and legislative issues.
- Researches legislative and government affairs issues and helps prepare information for the GM Investment and Intergovernmental Relations, City Staff, Council and Committees. Interprets government reports/legislation and summarizes data for Council and staff.
- Under the direction of the General Manager, Investment and Intergovernmental Relations, composes/edits responses to intergovernmental correspondence to the Mayor in a professional, insightful and clear manner.
Our ideal candidate shares our City values of Community, Innovation, Integrity, Service and Teamwork, and can demonstrate the following qualifications:
- The successful candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Public Administration or Communications with 5-10 years of related experience. Previous work experience in the political realm, with established relationships is important and municipal experience is an asset.
- You will have demonstrated flexibility, significant work capacity, the ability to thrive in a team environment and a well-honed level of political astuteness.
- You have a proven ability to deal with a high volume of work in a complex environment with multiple demands and critical timelines.
- You have excellent writing and research skills, and are technically astute with respect to web sites, communication programs, and social media.
- Able to interact professionally and diplomatically with people at all levels of an organization and with multiple external stakeholders.
- Upholds strict confidentiality and understands the seriousness of any such breaches to the reputation and operations of a senior office
- Possesses exemplary communication skills, both written and oral
Apply online at www.surreycareers.ca