COMOX VALLEY REGIONAL DISTRICT
600 Comox Road, Courtenay, BC
Planner IPermanent Full-time
The Comox Valley is an attractive geographic location, rich in rural agriculture, vibrant urban development, meandering coastline and dramatic mountains. There are spectacular outdoor activities available throughout the region, offering unlimited possibilities to current and prospective residents.
At the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) we work collaboratively, continually look toward the future and strive to be the change we wish to see in our communities. Our values coupled with a commitment to leadership excellence and a resolute focus on serving the residents of the Comox Valley, help to create an organizational culture that’s second to none. What we do goes beyond work, offering our employees the support to achieve and maintain a healthy balance between work and lifestyle. Working with the CVRD is a plus for everyone.
We are currently seeking a Planner I to join our Planning and Development Services team. The Planner evaluates land use development proposals, drafts amendments to Regional Growth Strategy (RGS),Official Community Plans (OCPs), Local Area Plans (LAPs) and zoning bylaws, leads public and stakeholder consultations, researches and prepares reports on various planning issues and provides information to public, committees and staff on land use and planning matters, applications, and current land use plans. Reporting to the Manager of Planning Services, the primary responsibilities of this role include:
- Evaluating land use development proposals for compliance with RGS, OCPs, LAPs, zoning bylaws and land use planning principles; reviewing project deficiencies with developer and other stakeholders and explaining requirements for acceptance.
- Assessing need for amendment to RGS, OCP, LAP and zoning bylaws in order to approve current development proposals and plans, arranging and conducting statutory public hearings, meetings, workshops and open houses to discuss RGS, OCP, LAP and zoning amendments and other land use and planning matters.
- Liaising with agencies, community groups and stakeholders in zoning reviews to identify and consider their positions/needs.
- Preparing reports and recommendations regarding development, rezoning and OCP applications and land use and planning issues for review by management.
- Preparing amendments to OCPs, LAPs and zoning bylaws.
- Undertaking site visits to meet with owners and/or agents to walk the site, taking note of physical characters, taking photos, and evaluating the appropriateness of the development proposal for the particular site.
Our ideal candidate is:
- A strong communicator with the ability to conduct public meetings and facilitate groups and workshops
- Organized and able to balance multiple priorities
- Resourceful with strong research and writing skills
- Safety-conscious with a demonstrated commitment to safe work practices
- Educated in community or regional planning at the post-secondary level (4-year Bachelor’s degree) and eligible for membership with the Canadian Institute of Planner or Planning Institute of BC with a Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s license
- Experienced in land use planning and zoning with over six months up to one year of directly related experience and knowledge of related provincial legislation and local government bylaws
To review the complete job description and to apply go to www.comoxvalleyrd.ca/jobs.
The closing date for this position is 3:00 pm December 9, 2019. Applications for available positions with the CVRD must be received prior to the indicated closing date and time. We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Comox Valley Regional District is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals.