Chief Financial Officer
Chief Financial Officer“Stroll on sandy beaches; marvel at wildlife and old growth forests; learn about the history and culture of the Haida people; experience world class fishing, hunting, boating, family-friendly amenities; and make friends with the many artists and musicians who live on Haida Gwaii”.
The Village of Port Clements is offering a unique opportunity for you to fill the role as the Chief Financial Officer and join our dynamic and dedicated team. Located 800 kilometers north of Vancouver on Haida Gwaii (the Galapagos of Canada) the Village of Port Clements (VOPC) has a population of 282. Centrally located on Graham Island, the largest island of ecologically unique Haida Gwaii, Port Clements is ideally situated to be a gateway to the wilderness of our island home. Affectionately referred to by locals as “Port”, Port Clements is famous as a cozy little town overlooking the inlet – offering breathtaking sunsets, magical rainbows, and a spectacular skyline. We offer easy access to Masset Inlet and the forest settings beyond; allowing our community to be the center of your fishing, hunting, or outdoor recreational activities. The Village is serviced by two primary transportation modes: BC Ferries, and daily flights from Vancouver through Sandspit or Masset.
As CFO you will be responsible for all of the statutory duties defined under the Community Charter and Local Government Act. You will report directly to the Chief Administrative Officer. Your guidance and support will assist Council and the municipal departments to achieve our strategic plan goals through budgeting, financial reporting and monitoring, financial analysis, revenue and collections, investments, purchasing, risk management, and taxation. This is a very hands-on job and you will get involved in everything from grant opportunities to bank statement reconciliation.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- An accounting designation (CA, CMA, CGA) or equivalent experience and education.
- A minimum of 5 years of municipal financial experience or related accounting, financial and management experience.
- Experience with the Muniware software system or an equivalent municipal finance system is preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply the Community Charter, Local Government Act and other related statutes/bylaws is essential.
- A solid knowledge of and proficiency in Excel.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, write reports and make presentations to council and the public.
- Proven interpersonal, supervisory and team leadership skills in a non-union environment.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License.
This position offers a wonderful opportunity for the right individual and includes a competitive salary, an excellent benefits package and a municipal pension plan. A full job description is available at www.portclements.ca. For more information on Haida Gwaii please refer to: www.HaidaGwaiiTrader.com (for real estate); www.gohaidagwaii.ca; and www.haidagwaiiobserver.com
Please forward your resume and cover letter, in confidence, to Ruby Decock, Chief Administrative Officer firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than 4:00pm on December 11, 2019.