Operations Worker IV
Operations Worker IVRequisition ID: 15116
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Operations Worker IV position is skilled manual work of some variety and complexity. The duties involve the use of specialized skills including those required for small equipment operations and the work generally requires accuracy and precision. The work is performed under general supervision. The work is subject to review during progress or on completion in terms of workmanship, overall results, efficiency and/or conformity to established standards
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
This position will be on our stumping and planting team. The general duties of the role will include but not be limited to planting, operating stump grinders, driving trucks with trailers, reading and comprehending plans for underground utility locating, and more. In addition, an Operations Worker IV operates hand guided mobile and stationary equipment used in construction and maintenance tasks, medium-sized industrial or farm-type tractors and ride on rotary and 3-gang reel mowers, places, screeds and tamps concrete and reinforcing material and expansion joints as required; floats, trowels, grooves, edges and finishes the surface; sprays and covers completed surfaces and measures, cuts and sets forms required for the construction or repair of concrete or asphalt sidewalks, pavements, curbs, drop curbs, gutters and returns in accordance with line and grade established by survey technicians. Some other work may include constructing stone walls using stones set in mortar in accordance with line and grade established by survey workers; cuts and breaks stones, digs footings and applies mortar with a trowel, directing other workers assisting in the work, occasionally driving a light truck to transport materials, tools and equipment and crew members to worksites. Performs related work as required.
Education and Experience:
- Up to completion of high school supplemented by related courses where applicable and sound related experience in one or more areas of skill development
- Class 5 Driver’s License for the Province of British Columbia
- Considerable knowledge of the methods, practices and rules of safe operation of mobile and stationary maintenance and construction equipment.
- Sound knowledge of the standard specifications, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in concrete or asphalt construction projects.
- Working knowledge of the functions of the branch concerned and the established practices in carrying out the work.
- Ability to work from blueprints or sketches and to understand line and grade markers and instructions.
- Ability to exercise considerable independence of judgment and action in the work.
- Ability to courteously answer questions and deal with the public.
- Skill in the operation and servicing of construction and maintenance equipment and in the use of tools used in minor repair tasks.
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 Parks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: December 2019
Position End Date: April 2020
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-320: $29.52 per hour
Application Close: November 15, 2019
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.