Division Manager, Business Systems
Division Manager, Business SystemsPosition Status: Full-Time Regular
Department: Corporate Services
Employee Group: Exempt
Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
Our Corporate Services Department is seeking a Division Manager, Business Systems who will lead innovation and change within Metro Vancouver’s Business Systems Division.
You are an exceptional leader who is well versed in the complexities of delivering business systems in a regional government or similar type setting. You possess a collaborative style of leadership and can build consensus all while working effectively with senior leadership, various committees and with internal and external stakeholders. You are innovative and have extensive experience with agile project management and software development. You have proven knowledge of resource allocation, budget control strategies, and directing work initiatives You demonstrate sound knowledge in IT strategic planning, customer service, resource allocation, talent management, and service delivery.
The Division Manager, Business Systems reports to the Chief Technology Officer and falls within our Management / Leadership, Level 4B job family.
- Leads the Business Systems division within the Corporate Services department and is responsible for the planning, development, delivery, operation and support of department-specific IT solutions. Provides leadership and direction for meeting corporate information technology requirements, evaluating solutions, and identifying strategies that provide the most value for the organization.
- Accountable for the Division’s budget preparation and reporting and ensures the appropriate allocation of costs. Monitors and controls spending to ensure the effective and efficient expenditure of allocated funds; guides and directs staff on cost control; and contributes to the preparation of long range financial plans.
- Works collaboratively to develop strategies for achieving maximum returns on technological investments. Assesses IT dependency requests and makes decisions and recommendations for IT projects for implementation. Understands department goals and objectives and recommends IT Solutions to address their challenges. Provides leadership for managing diverse projects and makes decisions with respect to the policies and processes required for the planning, operation, delivery and support of department-specific IT solutions.
- Provides direction to ensure the effective utilization of the organization’s core business and GIS systems. Provides staff with the structure and direction for establishing and maintaining effective client relationships. Works collaboratively with stakeholders to plan business system initiatives and ensures users are supported, trained and kept up to date. Understands individual departments goals and business challenges. Contributes as a key member of the IT management team.
- Provides leadership for maintaining effective and efficient application support methodologies and works strategically to ensure applications are secure and reliable. Provides leadership for the integration of applications with Metro Vancouver’s complex system of differing platforms and applications.
- Makes adjustments to the overall resourcing strategies based on demand for new work as well as planned application life cycle maintenance. Ensures enterprise standards are leveraged and application portfolios are streamlined with as few platforms as possible.
- Conducts regular formal and informal polls of IT clients to determine the adequacy of IT related services. Identifies areas for improvements and takes action to restore and/or improve services levels as appropriate.
- Stays current with new technology, software trends and best practices. Evaluates the effects of changing technology on existing and future solutions and engages client departments as appropriate. Liaises with the Division Manager IT Digital Strategy and Project Management and the Division Manager Infrastructure Services to identify technology trends, determine technology directions, architectures and standards and integrate technology solutions.
- Responsible for hiring, supervising, directing and motivating staff and monitors performance towards corporate objectives; ensures staff adhere to corporate and board policies. Leads, coaches, mentors and develops staff recognizing the importance of training. Resolves technical, operational or relational issues staff encounter while doing their work.
- Leads the development and implementation of strategic initiatives related to the department specific business systems including major initiatives to upgrade and implement complex enterprise management systems. Ensures the division’s activities are consistent with the organization’s values and goals and provides leadership to address complex challenges.
- Liaises with other divisions, departments, consultants and external service providers on various issues. Provides advice and guidance to others within Metro Vancouver and represent the division and department as required.
- Performs other related duties as required.
To be successful, you have:
- 5-7 years of recent, related progressive experience supplemented by a university degree in a relevant field such as information technology, computer science or business administration; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Relevant professional designation(s) and/or certification(s) such as Project Manager Certification (PMP) or Business Analysis Certification (CBAP) are assets.
- Extensive knowledge of information and GIS systems, project management best practices and business concepts relevant to managing complex information technology projects and systems. Extensive knowledge related to the planning, development, delivery, operation and support of department-specific IT solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex issues related to strategic and tactical information systems activities for a complex organization such as Metro Vancouver.
- Excellent budgeting and financial management skills. Demonstrated ability to manage and monitor budgets, meet financial objectives and ensure the effective and efficient expenditure of allocated funds.
- Ability to make corporate decisions of some consequence related to complex corporate business systems. Ability to develop solution to address unique challenges and diverse business objectives. Provides advice on corporate information technology standards, priorities and best practices. Extensive knowledge and demonstrated ability to manage diverse and complex business system needs.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including sound report writing and presentation skills. Persuasively communicates complex information to diverse audiences and upholds the reputation of the organization in communications with external agencies, the media, elected officials, and the public.
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships; skill in dealing openly and tactfully in a variety of situations; responds effectively to emotional triggers in self and others. Contributes to the team with constructive ideas and experiences; effectively deals with disagreements to prevent escalation of conflict; seeks to include team members in decisions that will impact them.
- Proven ability to use judgment to resolve complex challenges; flexible and able to develop and revise strategies to address problems and changing circumstances. Demonstrates persistence in overcoming obstacles and considers the diverse and long term implications of decisions beyond the work at hand. Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to lead, supervise, coach and guide others while enhancing individual and team effectiveness. Ability to mentor and foster the development of direct reports and provide leadership to a number of ‘support but does not report’ working relationships. Sound understanding of and ability to apply labour and employee relations principles and practices including applicable collective agreements.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by November 22, 2019.