Engineering Assistant II
Engineering Assistant IIRequisition ID: 15027
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Engineering Assistant II will work as part of a team to carry out a variety of routine inspection and technical duties.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- The Engineering Assistant II will be responsible carrying out Sidewalk & Street Hazard Inspection within the City of Vancouver.
- This position will also undertake inspection for removal of snow or ice from sidewalks as required.
- The Engineering Assistant II will maintain various Branch databases, perform a variety of related administrative and technical tasks in order to meet Branch operational needs, and will perform related duties as required
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by technical courses in municipal inspection or other courses related to the work; graduation from an approved technician institute is preferred.
- Experience with VanMap, Hansen, ENGIS or the Sidewalk Hazard Inspection Program is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the methods, materials and equipment used in municipal construction work is an asset.
- Good written and interpersonal communication skills in resolving differences with the flexibility to perform inspections at irregular hours and on the weekend.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and communication with other staff, owners, contractors, and members of the public.
- Proven ability to electronically collect, organize and analyze data and to prepare clear, well written reports, diaries and records.
- Ability to interpret engineering drawings and specifications.
- Ability to problem solve identify creative solutions, and show leadership in new initiatives.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to perform physically strenuous work and work outside in adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to meet project completion deadlines on a consistent basis.
Driver's License and Record Checks:
- A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and a satisfactory driving record is preferred.
- Your driving record will be reviewed as part of the application process. Candidates must demonstrate as safe driving history, as assessed by the City of Vancouver.
- Transportation arrangements must meet operational requirements of the Department.
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Number of Positions: 2
Position Start Date: December 2019
Position End Date: August 2020
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-017: $27.45 to $32.25 per hour
Application Close: November 15, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.