PlannerSummerland, nestled in the heart of the Okanagan Valley, is a friendly town with beautiful beaches, orchards, vineyards and mountains. The population of this centrally located municipality is just over 11,600. If you are excited about building a sustainable, healthy community and you share our values of service, integrity, and innovation – the District would like you to be part of our team.
The District of Summerland has an opportunity for a Planner who will be responsible for processing a variety of development applications and referrals, amendments to the Zoning Bylaw and OCP, responding to general inquiries, and providing support to Advisory Committees of Council. Upcoming priorities for community planning involve downtown revitalization, waterfront redevelopment, increased intensity of agricultural land uses and industrial land redevelopment. The Planner will require general planning knowledge (theory, practice, legislation and case law), and the ability to interpret policies, regulations, and legislation, as well as the ability to prepare and present comprehensive planning reports.
Qualified candidates will possess the following:
- A university degree in Planning, Geography or a related field;
- A minimum of 3 years of planning experience in a municipal planning environment;
- Membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners (or eligibility for membership);
- Strong working knowledge and understanding of the Local Government Act, Land Title Act, Community Charter and other relevant federal and provincial policies and legislation as they relate to local government;
- Sound working knowledge and understanding of common law principles and legislative conventions applicable to land use planning;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to write comprehensive reports;
- The ability to undertake research and data collection and apply strong analytical and critical thinking skills;
- Skills and good judgement in dealing with the public, staff, community groups and the development industry, with a strong focus on customer service;
- A valid Class 5 BC Driver’s Licence.
Please view our website at www.summerland.ca/jobs for a complete job description and required qualifications. This is position is a full-time, 35 hour/week, CUPE position and offers an hourly wage of $40.79 - $42.94 (2019 rate) per hour as well as a competitive benefits package and pension. Interested applicants may submit a cover letter and resume in pdf format, quoting Competition No. 19-40E by November 17, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.