Manager, Legislative Services
Manager, Legislative Services(Full Time)
The Municipality of North Cowichan (population 30,000) is located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Southern Vancouver Island, between Nanaimo and Victoria. Our communities of Chemainus, Crofton, Maple Bay, and the South End including University Village, are home to a multitude of artistic, cultural and outdoor recreational activities. The Municipality provides a stable and varied work environment, competitive pay and benefits.
The Municipality of North Cowichan has an exciting opportunity for a Manager, Legislative Services. Our ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment, and enjoys acting as a technical expert overseeing operations as much as managing a team and project-based work.
Reporting to the General Manager, Corporate Services, the Manager, Legislative Services is a critical member of the management team providing parliamentarian advice to Council, the Chief Administrative Officer and senior staff. Leading the Legislative Services team, this role is designated as the Corporate Officer pursuant to Section 148 of the Community Charter. The role will oversee the direction, organization, facilitation and administration of North Cowichan’s legislative functions. This position may act as Chief Election Officer for elections and referenda. The Manager, Legislative Services will be responsible for researching, drafting and managing legal documents, including bylaws and policies, and will lead inter-departmental project teams as required. Deployment from other duties may be required from time to time.
Required Skills, Qualifications, and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of the Community Charter, the Local Government Act, the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, Robert’s Rules of Order and records management best practices.
- Post-secondary education with major courses in public administration or in a related discipline.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in municipal administration, with a minimum of two years’ experience supervising direct reports in an office environment.
- Excellent judgement and discretion regarding the management of sensitive and confidential information.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent time management and prioritization abilities.
- Advanced ability to influence others and achieve results.
- A strong work ethic, resiliency, and flexibility to deal with many changes and disruptions.
- High levels of political and organizational acumen and proven capability in developing strong and effective working partnerships, rapport and relationships with senior leaders, and all manner of teams and diverse stakeholders.
- The ability to work evenings to accommodate Council and Committee meetings as required.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver's License; a satisfactory current driver's abstract will be required.
Candidates being considered will be required to undergo a comprehensive evaluation of skills, qualifications and abilities. The successful candidate will be required to undergo a police information check.
A competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package is offered. This position is excluded from union membership.
Visit the Municipality of North Cowichan Career Portal at www.northcowichan.ca/jobs to apply for this position.
Please note that all candidates must apply via the Career Portal; we do not accept resumes via email or hard copy.
Review of applications received will commence on November 25, 2019. You are encouraged to submit your application prior to this date for full consideration, however, the competition will remain open until a successful candidate is found or until otherwise advised on our website.