Building Official III
Building Official III
At the City of Kamloops, we are focused on creating the highest levels of service excellence, based on an organization-wide community culture that celebrates our employees who make it all happen. We are known as Canada’s Tournament Capital and are famous for our hospitality and community spirit, traits that make us a leader! Recreation, sports, arts and culture, health care, social activities, volunteerism, and affordable housing all meld to form a unique blend of big city amenities with small-town ambience. This is Kamloops!
Let’s make Kamloops shine! Join our team today.
An exciting and challenging opportunity exists for a Permanent, Building Official III with the City of Kamloops! If you want to be part of a culture of empowerment and you embrace respect, accountability, clarity, collaboration, integrity and competency then working in the Development, Engineering and Sustainability Department may be a great fit for you. We are seeking a dedicated and reliable person who wants to become part of our dynamic team of Building Officials. This opportunity involves field inspection of building construction for all building types throughout the City as well as plan and specification review all with a focus on public safety. We strive for a high standard of quality in everything we do and take pride in being a resource for residents as well as the building and development community.
Typical duties of this position include:
- Field Inspections on new building construction, conversions, alterations and additions to ensure compliance with municipal bylaws and the BC Building Code
- Reviews plans and specifications prior to permit issuance
- Discusses construction requirements with contractors, engineers, architects, trades people, owners and others to ensure works are carried out in accordance with municipal bylaws and the BC Building Code
- Works with other City Departments on building related issues
- Administrative and record keeping work including general correspondence and report preparation
The successful candidate must have the following qualifications:
- Completion of secondary school or equivalent.
- Valid BC Driver’s Licence - Class 5.
- BC Trade Qualification or interprovincial carpentry ticket and/or graduation from a recognized building technology course.
- Level III certification with the Building Officials Association of BC.
For new hires, and those working in designated positions of trust, including those working directly with vulnerable persons, no formal offer of employment will be made until an applicant completes a police information check.A comprehensive benefits package is included with this position.
City of Kamloops -> Development, Engineering, and Sustainability -> Building & Engineering Development
Hours & Days of Work
Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (Winter)
*Includes a 30 minute unpaid lunch.
Monday to Friday 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (Summer)
*Includes 30 minute unpaid lunch.
* Note, these hours of work are currently under review.
Hours per Week
Chief Building Official
External job postings are open to everyone. We accept applications online only; be sure to carefully read the application instructions for each job you apply to.
We are an equal opportunity employer and thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note that persons with disabilities who require assistance with the application process may contact the Human Resources Department at (250) 828-3439.