Director of Financial Services
“Where the Rainforest Meets the Sea”
Director of Financial Services
Located on the south-western tip of Vancouver Island, BC, Sooke has a sheltered harbor, and is a scenic forty-five-minute drive from BC's capital city, Victoria. As a part of a temperate rainforest, the Sooke district has one of the mildest climates in Canada. Characterized by warm, dry summers and mild winters, Sooke’s pleasant climate is a year-round paradise for those who enjoy outdoor activities, such as hiking, biking, kayaking or sailing.
(Chief Financial Officer)
The District of Sooke has a permanent employment opportunity for Director of Financial Services. Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (“CAO”), the Director of Financial Services is responsible for financial planning, statutory and compliance reporting and administration of the District’s financial affairs under the Community Charter. This position provides financial advice to the CAO, Council and staff on financial and economic matters relating to the long-term financial health of the municipality, asset management and long-term planning.
The Director of Financial Services is also responsible for complex duties which include, but are not limited to, preparing the annual financial statements and oversees the annual audit process; preparing the Five-Year Financial Plan; preparing the annual Property Tax Rate Bylaw and other related bylaws; preparing other annual municipal financial reports; preparing financial reports for internal and external distribution; preparing reports to Council; overall management of the Financial Services department staff.
To be considered for this role, applicants should have:
- Post-Secondary education in public or business administration, or a related discipline.
- CPA accounting designation (includes CPA CA, CPA CMA, or CPA CGA).
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification would be considered an asset.
- Minimum of eight (8) years progressive experience at a senior management level of municipal government or other public sector organization including at least three (3) years in a supervisory capacity.
- Extensive knowledge of Public Sector accounting and auditing standards and principles.
- In-depth knowledge of accounting systems within a government environment is preferred.
- Experience automating financial services processes and procedures is highly desirable.
- Experience researching, writing and presenting complex financial reports.
- Experience with strong leadership, relationship building and communication skills.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s Licence.
review, plus an excellent benefit package.
To view the full job description, visit the employment page of our website at:
Please indicate 2019-010 Director of Financial Services in the subject of your email, and submit your detailed resume and cover letter outlining your interest and experience for this opportunity to: email@example.com
Closing date for receipt of applications is 4:30 p.m. Sunday, December 1, 2019.
The District of Sooke thanks all applicants for their interest and advises that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.