Utilities Coordination Engineer
Utilities Coordination EngineerRequisition ID: 13257
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Reporting to the Senior Engineer, Utilities Management, the Utilities Coordination Engineer is responsible for providing technical expertise for regulating the use of City streets by 3rd party utility companies. Support the Senior Engineer in negotiating on behalf of Engineering Services with 3rd party utilities, developers, consultants, and government bodies to ensure that the best interests of the City are met with respect to use of streets.
The Engineer is responsible for developing and analyzing policy through liaising with internal and external stakeholders as well as writing technical specifications, reports and letters. This position also provides full support for the Utilities Management team involved in the day to day approval and coordination of construction works and projects related to 3rd party utilities
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- This exempt position is responsible for providing technical expertise for regulating the use of City streets by 3rd party utilities. In addition the work involves participating in proceedings with regulatory agencies such as the CRTC and the BC Utilities Commission and developing policy around these activities.
- The successful candidate will initiate, review and complete detailed design work and technical studies, work with City construction crews and direct other technical and clerical staff to assist in carrying out the required duties.
- These duties also include performing investigations, co-ordination of construction works and innovative projects related to 3rd party utility coordination issues and to participate in meetings with internal staff, consultants, other government organizations and the public.
- Represents Engineering Services in multi-disciplinary project technical teams to co-ordinate and manage departmental review processes for project design drawings and standards, and making decisions for any identified conflicts as necessary.
- Coordinate and manage the construction of internally and externally delivered infrastructure utility projects, with a focus on minimizing impacts to residents, business owners and the public.
- Support the Organizational Quality Management (OQM) program within the Utilities Management Branch.
- Providing overall support to the Branch Manager of Utilities Management and make presentations to Council, Committees of the Whole, and advisory committees to Council as required.
- In addition, the incumbent will be required to write letters, technical specifications, and various studies and reports.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Civil Engineering, Construction Management or equivalent
- Minimum 2 years of progressive experience in design, construction and project management including engineering, operational, and administrative responsibilities.
- Registration or eligibility for registration as a Professional Engineer or EIT with Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (EGBC).
- Background in the City’s 3rd party utility use of streets and municipal access process and relevant City by-laws is an asset.
- Experience in engineering and project management including planning, detailed design, construction, and contract management of engineering projects and in particular utilities such as BC Hydro, FortisBC, Telus, Rogers, Shaw or similar.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with internal and external partners and stakeholders
- Familiarity with the City’s standards, By-Laws, EGBC OQM and 3rd Party utility policies and regulations
- Experience in dealing with multiple tasks, and setting and meeting competing deadlines
- Well-developed interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Start Date: January, 2020
End Date: January, 2022
Closing Date: November 20, 2019
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities. The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.