Sport LeaderPosition Type: Auxiliary
Department: Community Sports or Richmond Olympic Experience (ROX)
Applicant Closing Date: November 14, 2019
Number of positions available: Multiple
The Richmond Olympic Oval is a breathtaking venue on the banks of the Fraser River. Located in the City of Richmond, a culturally diverse and geographically unique community centrally located on Canada's West Coast, in Metro Vancouver. The Richmond Olympic Oval is an international centre of excellence for sports, health and wellness, culture and entertainment used by members of our community and those seeking to wear the maple leaf on the international stage.
We are looking for enthusiastic Sport Leaders for our Sport Programs, School Bookings, and Birthdays in the Community Sport department. This is a fantastic opportunity for students with sporting and/or coaching experience to join the Oval team in other roles as well. There is also the opportunity to continue on by assisting with our other Programs, Group Bookings, and Camps. If you are a leader by nature, committed to helping others achieve success, passionate about coaching and creating activity lesson plans, then this is the role for you!
A day in the life of the Sport Leader includes,
- Works in a team environment to ensure the participant has a positive experience while at the Richmond Olympic Oval.
- Monitors and maintains the integrity, appearance, and safety of all Oval sport equipment and surroundings.
- Coaches and instructs activities and lessons with enthusiasm, instructs based on objectives, and adjusts activities based on age, skill and athletic levels.
- Demonstrates leadership, energy, and enthusiasm to the teaching environment each day.
- Ensures that appropriate skills are being taught to participants and progression through levels takes place.
- Demonstrates support to all other sport leaders, as needed.
- Records and communicates feedback, strengths, and weaknesses with supervisors, to ensure important information is being communicated.
- Provides exceptional customer service.
Must be available to work weekdays and/or weekends
- $15.84 to $19.01 plus 12% in lieu of benefits (hourly rate is based on qualifications and experience
The qualifications and skills you bring to this role include,
- Successful completion of Grade 12 preferred.
- Participation or graduation in a recognized, sport related post-secondary program is an asset
- Sport Specific NCCP Certificates an asset
- Certification of NCCP Fundamental Movement Skills, Kids Can Move, or Run Jump Throw, or equivalent fundamental movement skills training
- Valid Standard First Aid, CPR-C and AED Certificate
- Experience working with children in a sport camp or related setting as a leader or volunteer
- Proven athletic ability and strong knowledge of a variety of sports and age-appropriate sport activities for children aged 3-12 years old
- Ability and confidence to coach and lead large groups
- Ability to deal with a diversity of people in a calm, courteous, and effective manner
- Effective communication, interpersonal, prioritization, planning and organizational skills
- Ability to work within a team environment is essential
- Flexibility with availability
- Must be able to complete a successful Criminal Record Check.
If you are a leader by nature, committed to helping others achieve success, passionate about coaching and creating activity lesson plans, then this is the role for you!
The Richmond Olympic Oval is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all groups. This includes women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to diversity. We also recognize unique styles, perspectives, beliefs and creativity that support a diverse, respectful, inclusive and collaborative work environment.