Manager of Urban Forest Services
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Manager of Urban Forest Services
Parks, Recreation and Facilities Department
Victoria is a vibrant, richly diverse and sustainably-focused city, renowned as a global tourist destination, hosting over 3.5 million visitors annually, and a place with excellent quality of life. Located on the southern tip of Vancouver Island and the capital of British Columbia, the City of Victoria is home to 92,000 people and is the economic and cultural hub for the region’s 350,000 residents.
The City of Victoria is recruiting for the position of Manager – Urban Forest Services, a new role that will lead a professional staff team responsible for the planning and management of these critical living assets.
Our ideal candidate will bring exceptional communication skills, innovative ideas and strong leadership to the urban forest and natural areas team, responsible for arboriculture operations, long-term planning, stakeholder engagement, and oversight of practices, policies, and plans.
This is a rare opportunity for a skilled and motivated professional, who enjoys tackling complex challenges, and understands how to acquire and utilize relevant data in decision-making, to effectively meet strategic objectives.
This position requires working in a deadline-focused environment, balancing multiple projects and addressing changing priorities, while providing leadership and guidance to a diverse team.
The City of Victoria is recruiting for a Manager of Urban Forest Services, a position best suited for a strategic leader with a proven track-record leading a high-performing team. Our ideal candidate will bring exceptional communication skills, innovative ideas and strong leadership to a team responsible for administering the City’s urban forest services and natural areas work including, arboriculture operations, project management, community programming, long-term planning, and oversight of the Tree Preservation Bylaw.
The Manager of Urban Forest Services works closely with colleagues across the organization, as well as external stakeholders, to effectively steward the urban forest including trees growing on private and public lands.
Reporting Relationships and Key Contacts
The Manager reports directly to the Assistant Director of Parks and Recreation. The position oversees the work of the urban forest planning, tree management and natural area teams, comprised of approximately 25 staff.
This position works closely with other stakeholders within the organization, including staff representatives of Parks, Recreation, Facilities, Sustainable Planning and Community Development, Public Works and Engineering, Finance, Human Resources, Real Estate, Legal, as well as external stakeholders.
- Develops and implements operational plans focused on the protection and enhancement of the urban forest
- Develops short, medium and long-term strategies, plans, targets and measures for the division
- Provides subject matter expertise to senior management
- Identifies solutions to barriers/issues/opportunities and develops strategies to optimize service delivery and resource utilization
Leadership and Management
- Oversees the team responsible for the delivery of urban forest planning, tree management and management of natural areas.
- Provides leadership on corporate projects, and collaborates with colleagues and stakeholders to deliver high quality results
- Delivers public presentations and authors reports on behalf of the City and the department
- Identify risks and develop mitigation strategies
- Achieve results and deliver on commitments
- Lead by example, with openness to new ideas, and transparency in decision-making
- Support staff within the division, through professional development, training, coaching, and performance management
- Anticipates and analyzes trends and investigates opportunities to improve effectiveness
- Facilitates an environment of collaboration, teamwork and innovation within the division
- Provide leadership in the event of emergencies, or other special events as required
- Provide effective oversight of work involving contractors, such as reviewing reports, administering contacts, performance, and deliverables
- Demonstrate the highest standard of professionalism, work ethic and integrity
Policies and Practices
- Accountable for the teams compliance with Occupational Health and Safety regulations and all other regulatory requirements
- Develops and maintains policies and practices to support effective maintenance, protection and operational standards for urban forest services
- Manages service-level agreements with external agencies and organizations
- Establishes/updates service standards, ensures quality and takes corrective action as necessary
- Recommends policy updates as required
- Prepares and manages capital and operating budgets
- Monitors key performance indicators, and reports to stakeholders as required
- Develops project cost estimates and budgets
- Manages project financials and other resource requirements
Perform other related activities as required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Forestry or Environmental Studies or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5-7 years of progressively responsible supervisory experience in a management capacity.
A competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package is offered. This position is excluded from union membership.
To apply for this opportunity you will need to create an online profile or log back in to our career portal at www.victoria.ca/jobs - only online submission will be considered. Please be prepared to provide proof of qualifications and supporting materials as outlined in your resume. Please note that first consideration will be given to applications received by November 26, 2019 and the posting will remain open until filled.
City of Victoria is an equal opportunity employer committed to establishing an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment for all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other basis protected by applicable law.
We are committed to ensuring that reasonable accommodations are made available to persons with disabilities during the recruitment cycle and will provide reasonable accommodations upon request. If you require assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us at HR@victoria.ca