Building Inspector 3
Building Inspector 3Planning & Protective Services – Building Inspection, Salt Spring Island
Hours of Work
70 hours bi-weekly
Rate of Pay
$42.10 - $47.73 per hour
Review of applications begins
4:00pm on October 20, 2019, however, this position will remain open until filled.
This position resides on Salt Spring Island
Reporting to the Manager, Building Inspection, the Building Inspector 3 regulates building construction within a designated area of the Electoral Areas of the Capital Regional District and may be assigned to work in various CRD Building Inspection Offices. This position is also responsible for the efficient operation and administration of a building inspection office.
This position requires an acceptable criminal record check. The applicant/incumbent will be required to undergo a criminal record check in order to work in this position, and to report to their Supervisor if any criminal charges are laid against them that may be related to their employment in this position.
This position resides on Salt Spring Island.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists the Manager, Building Inspection by providing guidance to building inspection staff, on planning issues, inspection methods and code interpretation.
- Reviews and processes applications for building and plumbing permits to ensure conformity to BC Building Code, CRD and Islands Trust bylaws and other pertinent regulations.
- Reviews proposals for Building Code equivalency and researches Building Code issues, making recommendations to the Manager.
- Issues permits, stop work orders and work correction orders as covered by the Building Bylaw.
- Investigates and gathers evidence of violations, complaints and other non-conformance issues and prepares reports for review by the Manager Building Inspection, as required.
- Participates in the process of filing notice on land title of delinquent permit files.
- Audits the building process to ensure compliance and performs progressive inspections for new construction, plumbing, alterations, repair and demolition of buildings and structures.
- Provides input for subdivision proposals to the Ministry of Transportation, Islands Trust Planning Department and/or the Juan de Fuca Planning Department with respect to CRD objectives.
- Obtains all required approvals before authorizing the issuance of a building permit.
- Participates in the maintenance of records related to building permit files.
- Reviews and prepares correspondence related to building issues, enquiries and complaints.
- Assists in the development of new permit fees and revisions to the Building Bylaw and confers with the Planning Department with regard to proposed new zoning bylaws.
- Provides information and interpretation of proper procedures and of the requirements of BC Building Code and Plumbing Code.
- Civic address information for emergency services requirements.
- Follows all policies, procedures and standards of the CRD.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Two year community college or technical school program, 10 years’ experience in construction at a senior level, five years’ experience as a building inspector in a local government setting, and Level 2 Certification with the Building Officials Association of BC required, with Level 3 Certification preferred.
- A current criminal record check is required.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal and customer service skills are required.
- Thorough knowledge of the BC Building Code, Plumbing Code, zoning bylaws and other regulation governing the construction, alteration and repair of buildings.
- Knowledge and understanding of WorkSafeBC practices/protocols, Workers’ Compensation Act and OH&S Regulations and other relevant safety statutes.
- Good working knowledge of the Local Government Act/Community Charter requirements pertaining to building regulations.
- Knowledge of and ability to use various computer word processing, spreadsheet and project scheduling programs and databases.
- Conflict resolution skills and ability to diffuse difficult situations.
- Proven ability to manage and supervise staff.
- Ability to make mathematical computations and tabulations with a high degree of accuracy and proficiency.
- Ability to enforce bylaw and code requirements and deal with the public in an effective manner.
- Capable of working effectively under pressure.
- Able to work harmoniously with contractors and owners to resolve construction problems and enforce bylaw requirements.
- Must possess a valid BC Driver’s Licence.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit your resume and covering letter online at www.crd.bc.ca under “Careers”.
The CRD wishes to thank you for your interest and advises that only those candidates under active consideration will be contacted.