Coordinator, Emergency Social Services & Public Education
The City of Richmond is a diverse and dynamic community in pursuit of our vision
to be the most appealing, livable and well-managed community in Canada.
People l Excellence l Leadership l Team l Innovation
Imagine a career with the City of Richmond, a dynamic environment for growth and continuous improvement, fostered by our collective strengths and creativity. We are a vibrant, diverse cosmopolitan city, supported by a strong economy and recognized as leaders in innovation and service delivery excellence. The City of Richmond is committed to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset – our people. This is a great opportunity to join our team and shape our community.
Coordinator, Emergency Social Services & Public Education
Job ID: 2019306
$38.02 to $44.87 per hour
Do you enjoy specialized work involving the development, implementation and maintenance of all aspects of emergency management, including mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery activities? If so, we are looking for you! The City of Richmond is currently looking to hire a Coordinator, Emergency Social Services & Public Education to provide support to the Emergency Programs department.
We are looking for someone that has:
- Knowledge of provincial and federal regulations, policies, procedures and bylaws related to the work performed.
- Considerable knowledge of emergency management planning and applicable regulatory requirements.
- Sound knowledge of the municipal organization and operations as it relates to risk assessment, emergency planning, response and recovery requirements.
- Sound knowledge of outside agencies and private organizations that provide support to the City during a major emergency.
- Ability to participate in committees comprising of senior personnel from all levels of government, industry, private organizations and the public.
- Ability to speak in public, meet and deal tactfully, effectively and diplomatically with the public and to maintain working relationships.
- Considerable knowledge of training and education techniques, project management, and community outreach.
- Ability to plan and facilitate emergency management training and emergency response exercises; ability to assist in the training and facilitation of volunteers.
- Demonstrated ability in the areas of facilitation, project management, and crisis management.
- Ability to deal with unexpected situations in a calm and professional manner.
- Ability to function effectively in emergency situations and make decisions with limited information available, as well as manage and direct others in crisis situations.
- Superior interpersonal and conflict management skills.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to present views and ideas effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work both collaboratively and with considerable independence of judgement in meeting overall direction and objectives as established by management.
- Ability to make discretionary decisions, take initiative and exercise independent thought and good judgement.
- Demonstrated project management skills dealing with the ability to manage multiple projects.
- Demonstrated ability to develop project plans and manage budgets.
- Skill and ability to provide design, layout, format and production for all departmental plans and publications.
- High attention to detail.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- Knowledge of business English, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Intermediate to advanced skill level in software programs including MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Adobe.
- Ability to use REDMS or a similar electronic records/document management system.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and utilize technology for program and information management.
- Ability to successfully clear a Police Information Check (PIC).
A minimum of one (1) year of post-secondary coursework (30 credits) in a related field of study (i.e. British Columbia Emergency Management) including coursework in the following: Incident Command System, Basic Emergency Management, Emergency Operations Centre, Emergency Public Information, Critical Incident Stress Debriefing, Exercise Design, Emergency Evacuations, and Emergency Social Services. A minimum of two (2) years of related experience including experience in emergency management, risk management and abatement, emergency response, development and implementation of training and exercise programs, and project management is required. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Experience in development and deliverance educational programs is considered an asset.
Experience in a municipal environment is considered an asset.
This position is on a flexible-blocking schedule. Hours will be scheduled based on operational need and can include daytime, evening, weekdays and weekends shifts of varying lengths as each shift can be extended or shortened by moving blocks of time as required within the pay period. Typically day shifts will be scheduled if there is no operational need for evening and weekend work.
If you think this is a good fit for you, we invite you to apply today!
The City of Richmond uses an applicant tracking system for candidates wishing to view and apply for available career opportunities. For further details regarding this specific career opportunity, please visit our website at www.richmond.ca/employment. Applicants will be required to upload a current resume and provide any supporting documentation relevant to the position (Word format). The closing date for Job ID: 2019306, Coordinator, Emergency Social Services & Public Education is 11:59pm, on October 27, 2019.
The City of Richmond is an inclusive employer committed to employment equity objectives and invites applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. If you are unsuccessful, please accept our appreciation for your interest. No telephone inquiries please.