Manager, Capital Maintenance
Manager, Capital MaintenanceRequisition ID: 14330
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Manager of Capital Maintenance will be responsible for the planning, development and implementation of the Capital Maintenance Program (building systems and equipment life cycle replacement) for the City's building assets. The successful candidate will be providing direction and management of the capital maintenance team, involving the management of the consultants, contractors, and collaboration with various City departments and other authorities and partners to meet the program needs.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Hires, trains, reviews and manages work performance
- Develops and monitors team work plans and assigns priorities
- Provides training and coaching to direct reports
- Assigns, supervises and reviews the work of staff to ensure efficient, timely and consistent delivery of services, and compliance with corporate and departmental policies
- Working with Facilities Asset Manager, strategizes, prioritize, validates, develops, updates, and maintains the multi-year, multi-discipline capital maintenance program projecting the equipment and building system lifecycle requirements over a 20 year period for the following building components:
- Oversees the development of life expectancy standards for building systems and equipment
- Compiles and presents the Capital Maintenance division of the Departmental 4 Year Capital Plan and Annual Capital Plans to the Associate Director and Director
- Prepares long range financial forecasts for capital maintenance for strategic budgeting purposes
- Working with Facilities Energy Manager, coordinates major equipment replacements to minimize energy usage and maximize GHG reduction
- Manages implementation of approved capital maintenance program through project coordination staff, including project commissioning and handover process
- Performs project management for complex, critical or emergency capital maintenance work
- Oversees the solicitation and evaluation of quotations and tenders to ensure compliance with corporate and departmental policies and practices and concurs with recommendations for award of contracts
- Monitors project delivery for compliance with implementation schedules and budget allocations
Education and Experience:
- Completion of a post-secondary degree in a related field such as Engineering, and
- Certification as a Building Technician or Technologist in the Province of British Columbia
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in building maintenance and operations in a managerial role
- Minimum of 10 years in building systems technology
- Considerable experience managing equipment upgrading and replacement projects
- Experience in dealing with building maintenance trades and knowledge of general Contracting/construction practices
- Experience with WorkSafeBC regulations and relevant Occupational Health and Safety Standards
- Experience developing long range, strategic maintenance plans
- Experience managing technical/ construction contracts and consultant agreements
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, methods and costs of building equipment and systems
- Comprehensive knowledge of all building systems including: HVAC, mechanical, electrical, structural, building envelope, roofing, and site services.
- Ability to conduct component condition audits and prepare reports of a technical nature
- Ability to prepare contract performance standards and check work for conformance with contract specifications
- Sound knowledge of budgeting, scheduling, contract specifications, contract documents and agreements for equipment upgrading and replacement
- Ability to analyze and interpret data, identify root problems, develop innovative solutions
- Ability to effectively manage a group of multi-disciplined professionals including planning, directing, coaching and evaluating.
- Ability to express ideas effectively in written and oral formats
Business Unit/Department: Real Estate & Facilities Mgmt (1100)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Application close date: October 23, 2019
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities. The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.