CEO, Vancouver Affordable Housing Agency
CEO, Vancouver Affordable Housing AgencyRequisition ID: 14847
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve. Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
The Chief Executive Officer, Vancouver Affordable Housing Agency is responsible for the City’s portfolio of affordable rental housing assets (Vancouver Affordable Housing Endowment Fund - VAHEF) and the management of the Vancouver Affordable Housing Agency (VAHA).
The City of Vancouver is establishing VAHEF to consolidate all of its non-market housing assets into a single portfolio. Once established, the VAHEF portfolio will consist of over 200 properties, predominantly leased to third parties to deliver +15,000 units of affordable rental housing, and an active pipeline of development projects. The CEO will play a pivotal role in shaping and executing the strategic vision, governance and operating structure of VAHEF along with internal departments and external partners, in alignment with the City’s broader housing strategies, city-wide and community plans, and other related policies.
In addition to the current staff that manage the day-to-day operations of VAHA, this position will directly oversee a team of real estate and housing subject matter experts based on a finalized governance and operating structure for VAHEF and manage/collaborate with staff indirectly across many operational units in the delivery of a set of affordable housing programs and initiatives. Working collaboratively and interdependently across departments, the core functions of the management of the portfolio include:
- Strategic planning and reporting. Lead the development, implementation and ongoing refresh of VAHEF’s and VAHA’s strategic plan, to include performance metrics and analysis frameworks used to optimise opportunities and mimimise risks, and maintain an effective and transparent reporting process that informs stakeholders and the public on performance against strategic objectives.
- Real estate portfolio management. Lead the development, implementation and ongoing monitoring/refresh of VAHEF’s real estate portfolio planning process, including articulation and realisation of the portfolio’s objectives, performance metrics, targets, and resource requirements.
- Real estate development, acquisitions and disposals. Oversee VAHEF and VAHA’s property development and redevelopment activities, and lead the property acquisition and disposal planning process to align with the portfolio’s strategic objectives over time.
- Contract and lease management. Set in place and maintain structures and processes to effectively oversee the full life cycle of VAHEF’s and VAHA’s contractual relationships – including development agreements, operating agreements, and leases – from negotiation to ongoing oversight to renewal decisions.
The successful candidate requires expertise in real estate and housing development, lease/contract management as well as highly sophisticated business management, problem-solving, relationship-building, influencing and strategic planning skills. In the course of this work, the CEO, is regularly entrusted with sensitive and confidential matters, and is responsible for making complex decisions that have multi-million dollar implications. With the strategic direction of VAHEF under development, the incumbent is also expected to be flexible and adaptable to a changing and evolving environment and responsibilities.
This position represents the City to the public and media on affordable housing-related issues on City-owned land, and is expected to forge and nurture strong relationships and effectively align interests among a diverse set of the City’s external affordable housing partners. The successful candidate will work closely with federal and provincial government agencies, non-profit housing operators, for-profit developers, as well as stakeholders specific to each VAHEF/VAHA development project to optimise the efficiency and effectiveness of affordable housing delivery.
The ideal candidate brings:
- Post graduate degree in Business Administration, Urban Planning, Public Administration Engineering, Architecture or equivalent;
- Strong business acumen and senior leadership experience in a complex organization and have over 10 years managing a significant real estate or affordable housing asset portfolio, ideally within a large public sector, corporate or institutional environment;
- Ten years’ experience and a demonstrated ability to guide, motivate and manage a team of multi-discipline professionals ideally in a field related to real estate asset management and affordable housing;
- Significant experience in managing a large capital and operating budget
- Proven ability to lead sophisticated negotiations related to large real estate transactions and/or developments;
- Proven experience advising and working with senior-level executives teams and other governance bodies; and
- Knowledge of the Vancouver real estate market, affordable housing sector and associated funding programs and familiarity with the City of Vancouver building and development regulations and processes are considered an asset.
Business Unit/Department: Office of the City Manager (1010)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Application Close: November 3, 2019
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities. The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.