Project Management Assistant
Project Management AssistantRequisition ID: 14831
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Project Management Assistant supports the development and maintenance of the Streets Capital Program Management Framework and the improvement of Project Management Framework (PMF) and Organizational Quality Management (OQM). The Project Management Assistant also coordinates and tracks project deliverables, key performance indicators (KPIs) and documentation control relating to the Streets Capital Program Management Framework, PMF, OQM and supports medium to large scale projects during all phases of planning, execution, control and closeout.
- Supporting development and implementation of Streets Capital Program Management Framework
- Supporting the improvement of PMF and OQM processes and procedures as well as the maintenance of PMF and OQM tools for the Streets Design branch
- Setting up and maintaining the document control system for the Streets Design Branch Policy and Procedures documents
- Conducting analysis of Project Management related topics including external benchmarking, leading practices research, or survey analysis
- Tracking and implementing PMF and OQM continuous improvement initiatives
- Highlighting potential risks and issues and making recommendations to the Section Head, Capital Program Delivery as appropriate
- Supporting and tracking compliance to PMF and OQM requirements for capital projects delivered by the Streets Design branch
- Creating and presenting PMF and Quality related reports or topics to project team members and project stakeholders, including creating and distributing communications materials
- Following up on the resolution of nonconformities and completion of continuous improvements resulting from audits/reviews
- Tracking status dashboards on process and quality key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Tracking major initiatives and critical project milestones for follow up with the accountable stakeholders responsible for ensuring outcomes are delivered
- Creating and maintaining project planning and execution documentation such as project plans and status reports
- Organizing meetings and/or training sessions; recording meeting minutes and following up action items/deliverables as necessary
- Performing Project Manager duties for small projects
- Performing other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Grade 12 supplemented with post-secondary technical training in Civil Engineering, Project Management, Quality Management, Planning or other relevant area of study or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Formal training in project management methodologies, preferably consistent with those provided by Project Management Institute (PMI) or equivalent.
- Experience in implementation and use of a document control system, such as VanDocs.
- A minimum of 2-3 years of project work experience.
- Experience and/or familiarity with construction methodologies would be an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of project management methodologies and standards.
- Considerable knowledge of continuous improvement tools and techniques (e.g., Pareto Chart, check sheets, flow charts, trend charts, cause-and-effect diagram).
- Excellent records management skills and understanding of Engineering Project Management Framework (PMF) and Organizational Quality Management (OQM) procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, track and accurately report project key performance indicators.
- Effective organizational skills and demonstrated ability to coordinate priorities and deliver high-quality and timely results under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in procurement procedures and contract administration.
- Demonstrated ability to independently research topics, analyze problems or trends, summarize results and make sound recommendations.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely orally and in writing and conduct presentations across all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work collaboratively and interact respectfully and persuasively with a variety of internal and external contacts.
- Effective conflict resolution skills including confidently when interacting with key stakeholders (internal/external) and the public.
- Ability to multitask and to be adaptive and flexible in a fast-paced and changing environment.
- Ability to manage change and assist others with adapting to change.
- Knowledge of City of Vancouver’s environmental, risk management, safety and sustainability policies is an asset.
- Strong working knowledge of VanDocs, MS Office (Visio, Project, Power Point, Excel and Word)
- SAP and AutoCAD is an asset.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: November 2018
Position End Date: May 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-024: $36.45 to $43.04 per hour
Application Close: October 18, 2019
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.