Survey Assistant II (14802)
Survey Assistant IIRequisition ID: 14802
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Reporting to the Technical Supervisor and Engineering Assistant III (Surveyor,) the Survey Assistant II will assist the Surveyor in manual and technical work in all aspects of conducting varied survey assignments including field and office related duties.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist Surveyor in the surveying of sewers, streets, lanes, parks and others as assigned
- Prepare field notes, sketches and making computations and calculations as required
- Operate and maintaining survey equipment such as total stations, survey controllers, auto-levels and basic hand tools
- Assist in physical work including but not limited to locating survey pins, plugs and monuments, staking, exposing shallow utility covers and markers, clearing weeds, brush and other obstacles
- Assist in secondary duties including conducting field investigations, filing, and pickup and delivery of equipment or vehicles, supplies and notices
- Assist in traffic control duties including setting up traffic control devices
- Research and provide technical and other information regarding sewer and water infrastructure for the public, city staff and private companies, providing written correspondence as required
- Ability to perform heavy physical work outdoors in all weather
- Carry out confined space entry procedures
- Perform other technical duties required to meet the operational needs of the Sewers branch
- Communicate and correspond with the public, private companies, outside agencies and other City branches
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12
- Related experience as an Engineering Assistant or Survey Assistant and technical courses related to the work such as Geomatics or survey courses or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of surveyor methods and techniques
- Experience in the operation of total stations with data recorders and manual survey instruments
- Ability to accurately read, draw, and interpret engineering drawings
- Ability to work in a team setting with little or no supervision
- Meet tight time lines in a multi-task environment
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Proven interpersonal skills in establishing and maintaining cooperative and effective working relationships with staff and other contacts Good knowledge of municipal design and construction of sewer systems
Driver’s License and Record Checks:
- A current and valid BC Driver’s License and a safe driving record are required.
- The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
- Local area travel and transportation arrangements must meet the operational requirements
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: October, 2019
Position End Date: June, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-015: $25.31 to $29.74 per hour
Application Close: October 18, 2019
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.