Project Coordinator I (Housing Review Branch)
Project Coordinator I (Housing Review Branch)Requisition ID: 14836
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function:
Working in a fast-paced, public-oriented department, this position performs technical work of some complexity involving the acceptance of applications for Development and Building Permits, primarily the checking of plans for one- and two-family dwellings and secondary suites for compliance with the Zoning and Development and Building By-laws. Also reviews and coordinates fairly complex development applications, plans and information to ensure compliance with the Zoning and Development and Parking By-laws and Council-approved policies and guidelines.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Duties include researching records and data from multiple sources such as property file and computer searches using PRISM, VanMap and Domino software, council reports, by-laws and guidelines, administrative work in preparing correspondence, and answering enquiries by phone and over the counter from the public and design professionals related to Building and Zoning By-laws and related City procedures.
Minimum Position Requirements:
- Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by related courses from a recognized technical institute, preferably a Diploma in Building Technology.
- Considerable related technical experience in zoning administration and the ability to assess and interpret plans accurately.
- Time and project management skills to meet deadlines and manage a large volume of work in a flexible manner, with changing priorities, often under pressure.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with the public and handle a high stress environment.
- Excellent communication skills are required to convey information to the public and explain technical matters in lay terms.
- Good writing skills.
- Previous work experience in the construction industry or experience in a design office is desirable.
- Must be able to demonstrate accurate keyboard skills and speed.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a working knowledge of City Building and Zoning By-laws and who have completed Level 1 certification of the Building Officials Association.
Business Unit/Department: Development Services, Building & Licencing (1250)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: November, 2019
Position End Date: May, 2020
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-021: $32.25 to $37.97 per hour
Application Close: October 18, 2019
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.