Project Coordinator II (Housing Review Branch)
Project Coordinator II (Housing Review Branch)Requisition ID: 14838
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Working in a fast paced, public-oriented department, this position performs detailed complex technical plan reviews and coordinates Development and Building permit applications for compliance with various by-laws. The position reports to the Manager of the Housing Review Branch and will focus on permit processing for new one and two family, laneway house and infill development, and renovations/additions to one- and two-family dwellings and multiple conversion dwelling buildings.
- Performs technical and administrative work involving the examination of architectural plans accompanying Development and Building Permit applications to ensure compliance with City by-laws, policies and guidelines
- Oversees the administration of programs that support the innovative creation of housing options in support of Council policies and processes that prioritize the delivery of low density housing
- Participates in pre-application meetings with other City processing groups, applicants, developers and design professionals to provide by-law analysis and policy input prior to application submission
- Participates in data entry and compiling of documents and records; performs data and records research from multiple sources
- Liaises with Planners and staff in other City departments to provide a response or input into a project on behalf of clients around technical and discretionary design issues, and is responsible for ensuring requirements pertaining to strata titling and subdivision are satisfied
- As a senior team member in the Housing Review branch, the PC II works with minimal supervision in decision making and responding to enquiries from the general public, design professionals related to pertinent By-laws and Council approved policy.
Minimum Position Requirements
- Graduation from a diploma program in Building Technology from a recognized technical institute, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated ability to read drawings and to perform complex calculations with considerable experience in plan examination, and interpret and apply relevant by-laws, and policy in a consistent manner
- Experience managing a large volume of work and meeting deadlines with ever changing priorities in a flexible manner, often under pressure
- Considerable knowledge of the applicable sections of the Zoning and Development By-law, the Building By-law, the Parking By-law, and other by-laws related to the work performed, as well as a sound understanding of the departmental policies and procedures involved in processing applications related to low density housing
- Demonstrated time and project management abilities
- Demonstrated computer skills with sound knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation applications
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with the public using demonstrated written and verbal communication skills in order to convey information and explain technical and procedural matters
A current and valid BC Drivers’ License is a requirement of this position. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
Business Unit/Department: Development Services, Building & Licencing (1250)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: November, 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-023: $32.97 to $40.48 per hour
Application Close: October 18, 2019
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.