Financial Analyst II
Financial Analyst IIRequisition ID: 14849
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This role is an integral member to the Financial Planning & Analysis team and reports to the Director of Financial Planning & Analysis, Engineering. The main functions of this role are:
- Leads financial planning and analysis for the Engineering including the development of complex business case analyses, valuation and modelling, formulate financial strategies, and influence high profile and high impact business decisions on corporate and Engineering initiatives
- Leads financial planning and analysis for the Engineering group which includes responsibility for the monitoring and strategic delivery of the Engineering’s multi-year and current year budget, as well as 3-5 Year Plans.
- Supports the Long-Term Financial Strategy department as required in developing long term financial plans for the Engineering
- Direct Management of Finance Staff; supporting with review of the staff work, evaluating the performance; supporting with development
Makes recommendations that may have an impact on financial and operational areas of the Engineering’s Business, as well as staffing workloads, working conditions, changes in positions or staffing levels.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
Reports to the Director of Financial Planning and Analysis, Engineering. Key contacts include:
- Internal: Senior Management Executives, Directors, Managers and supervisors, as well as peers across the corporate Finance organization
Strategic Development / Business Cases; Value for Money Proposals
- Leads the development of complex business case analyses, valuation, modelling, presentations and reports for the Engineering
- Determines long-term financial implications and participates in the formulation of financial strategies
- Influences high profile and high impact business decisions on key corporate and Engineering initiatives
- Provides forecasting, economic analysis, financial modeling, and policy development
- Analyzes processes, practices and procedures of similar Business Unit(s), identifies best practices, and develops benchmark standards to be applied in the Engineering Department
Strategic Decision Support and Analysis
- Makes recommendations on priority corporate and Engineering initiatives based on financial analytics and application of corporate policies
- Determines financial implications for major corporate decisions, including business cases, Engineering reports, contracts, etc.
- Prepares and on occasion presents reports to the Engineering
- Oversees staff in the completion of budget submissions, variance reporting, forecasting and other ad hoc analysis
Long-Term Financial Planning
- Develops and maintains the Engineering’s long-term financial models incorporating financial implications from corporate and Engineering’s business plans, Engineering initiatives, and external agencies
- Partners with the business and the Long-Term Financial Planning department in the development of the Engineering long term capital planning, and capital strategic outlook, providing strategic guidance on funding options.
- Conducts scenario analysis taking into consideration macroeconomic and City-specific factors
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Professional accounting designation(such as CA, CGA or CMA) or MBA required
- Minimum of 8 years of related experience including financial modelling and business case analysis
- High proficiency in Excel and financial models
- Experience Managing Staff or providing leadership to junior level staff
- Experience writing reports to executive levels of the organization
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong financial modelling skills
- Extensive analytical skills; the ability to reach sound decisions and resolve complex problems
- Extensive critical thinking skills; the ability to analyze performance and evaluate outcomes and results
- Extensive ability to perform thorough, complete and accurate work
- Considerable ability to lead or facilitate meetings, groups and teams, including managing controversial subjects
- Extensive ability to influence others, build relationships, and gain agreement on ideas or concepts
- Strong sense of accountability, ability to work independently and take considerable initiative in leading and completing assignments
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, ability to effectively convey complicated financial analytics to non-financial management in the form of reports and/or presentations
Business Unit/Department: Finance, Risk & Business Plan (1150)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: November 2019
Application Close: October 22, 2019
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.