School District No. 79 (Cowichan Valley)
School District No. 79 (Cowichan Valley)
School District No.79 (Cowichan Valley) is seeking an individual to join our dynamic team as our Custodial Supervisor.
Situated in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on southern Vancouver Island, the Cowichan Valley School District serves a population of almost 8,000 students of which 1,400 identify as Indigenous. We are honoured to be learning on the ancestral and unceded territories of the Quw’utsun, Malahat, Stz’uminus, Penelakut, Halalt, Lake Cowichan and Lyakson peoples. Our district extends north to Saltair, south to Spectacle Lake on the Malahat, and west to the Lake Cowichan region. The school district has 26 facilities and over $100 million annual budget.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, in this excluded position you will be responsible for providing leadership to custodial staff, the operational management and control of the school boards custodial services, staffing, cleaning standards, management of the districts health and safety requirements as they pertain to the custodial department, safe work procedures, department practices, training and purchasing for the custodial department as well as being responsible for management of appropriate budget sections. You will become a part of the Operations Department Management Team and assist in the ongoing development of the department.
Our ideal candidate:
- Assists in developing and implementing programs to meet the day-to-day plant operations requirements for schools and other Board facilities.
- Ensures that the health and safety issues pertaining to the custodial and maintenance departments are identified and resolved. Reviews and implements recommendations and changes to improve the health and safety environment
- Provides students and staff with a safe, attractive, comfortable, clean and efficient place in which to learn, play and develop.
- Is responsible for administering the terms of Board policy and the USW collective agreement with the custodial staff.
- Operates within the parameters of the annual operating and capital budgets for the custodial department and has authority for routine expenditures.
- Plans and schedules the necessary complement of staffing required as the number of schools and other buildings varies; estimates and monitors the annual budget for staff, supplies and equipment.
- Consults with administrative officers concerning normal services, special services required and any allergy problems which may occur during cleaning, maintenance and renovation projects.
- Assumes primary responsibility for hiring regular and temporary staff and, in consultation with the Director of Operations/Human Resources Officer and determines the retention or release of probationary staff.
- Maintains the standard of cleanliness expected in the district within budget parameters.
- Ensures that Board policy, the terms of the collective agreement, WSBC regulations, health regulations, fire regulations and insurance underwriter regulations are adhered to by supervised staff.
- Administers policy and other programs for consideration in response to WSBC and other regulatory agency legislation (safety audits).
To be successful you will have…
- Leadership skills and experience in a unionized environment;
- Experience dealing with human resource related issues such as: grievances, employee performance, discipline, leaves of absence, etc;
- Proven fiscal management knowledge;
- Knowledge of custodial practices and facility maintenance;
- Knowledge of WSBC Regulations;
- WHMIS and the ability to train;
- Organizational, supervisory and problem solving skills;
- Excellent communication skills.
- A post-secondary diploma in a relevant field supplemented by a Building Services Worker certificate;
- A minimum of five years of supervisory experience in a unionized environment;
- Computer literacy using Microsoft Office;
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve technical and mechanical issues;
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills;
- The ability to lead by example while demonstrating a commitment to continuous improvement through best practices and strategic planning in the field of cleaning and custodial services;
Note: Equivalent training and experience will be given consideration
A competitive salary and benefit package will be provided which reflects the responsibilities of the position. For further information, please contact Richard Dyble, Director of Operations, (250) 748-0338 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, letters of reference and any other supporting documents to:
Richard Dyble, Director of Operations
Cowichan Valley School District #79
2557 Beverly Street, Duncan, BC V9L 2X3
Phone: (250) 748-0338 Fax (250) 748-2739
Applications must be received by 4:00pm Tuesday, October 22, 2019. We appreciate all applicants, however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.