Environmental Services Technologist I
Environmental Services Technologist ICOMPETITION NO:
HOURS OF WORK:
35 Hours per Week
To be determined
4:00 p.m., October 28, 2019
Encompassing an unparalleled geographic region in the heart of British Columbia, the Thompson-Nicola Regional District (TNRD) offers the best of both worlds. Urban life within vibrant communities and outlying rural regions that showcase the region's beauty - pristine but rugged mountains, rolling grasslands, lush evergreen forests and both historic and modern areas, all within 45,000 square kilometres. Headquartered in the City of Kamloops, the TNRD provides a wide range of local government services to the population of 130,000 living within its 11 diverse municipalities and 10 electoral areas.
Reporting to the Solid Waste Operations Supervisor, the Environmental Services Technologist 1 will support and enhance TNRD solid waste operations. This positon is one of two Environmental Services Technologist 1 positions which support the day-to-day operations at the two active landfills, 28 Eco-Depots and transfer stations, and numerous closed landfills (under environmental monitoring) that make up the TNRD solid waste management system. This role requires a self-starter and organized individual who can work both alone and in a team environment.
Primary Expectations of the Role include:
- Inspection of solid waste facilities to ensure Operations and Maintenance contract compliance. Specifically ensuring contract staff are adhering to TNRD procedures and policies
- Coordination of service contracts such as waste/recycling hauling, site maintenance, snow removal, facility repairs and improvements
- Adherence to assigned budget, ensuring best value to TNRD
- Ensure compliance with health and safety requirements
- Provide recommendations and input to the Solid Waste Operations Supervisor to solve problems and improve existing operations
Required Education and Experience:
- Completion of an undergraduate degree in natural resource science, engineering, environmental studies, or a related field
- Two (2) years of related experience in solid waste management
- Proven experience directing contractors and adhering to assigned budget required
Qualifications that will be considered an asset:
- Specialized training in solid waste management, such as certification by the Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA), is an asset
- Experience working in public sector - Local government experience an asset
- Working together, we provide exceptional public service in a supportive, flexible environment
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of solid waste management in BC
- Project management and contract administration skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient using computers/devices and ability to learn new systems/technology
- Organized, problem solving abilities, and critical thinker
- Valid Class 5 Drivers Licence
This position falls under the provisions of the Collective Agreement with the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 900. The placement of the Environmental Services Technologist I is at Pay Grade 8, which is $2,277.27 to $2,634.42 biweekly.
Please email your application to email@example.com by 4:00 p.m. on October 28, 2019 quoting Competition # 2019-057.
Applications must include a cover letter and a resume outlining your qualifications and experience.
Thank you for considering the Thompson-Nicola Regional District as a place to share your talents! While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.