Sustainability Engagement Coordinator
City of Surrey
Sustainability Engagement Coordinator
(2 Year Project)
City of Surrey is a municipality with a vision to be a thriving, green, inclusive city. Surrey has an ambitious sustainability and climate action agenda, led by the award-winning Sustainability Charter 2.0 and the Community Climate Action Strategy, which comprises both climate mitigation (Community Energy and Emissions Plan) and adaptation (Climate Adaptation Strategy). Within the Climate Adaptation Strategy, adopted in 2013, several climate risks and vulnerabilities were identified and prioritized; priority actions to increase resilience for health and safety include minimizing the urban heat island effect and collaborating with key partners on improving population health.
Reporting to the Sustainability Planner, this role provides an advanced level of work to lead an exciting urban heat project to address the short-term cooling needs of Surrey’s diverse community and vulnerable populations and explore long-term adaptation pathways and land use in the context of urban densification. The project will be grounded in collaborative and equity approaches and employ community and key stakeholder engagement methods to support diverse participation. This role will build capacity to address the impacts of urban heat on infrastructure, communities, and ecosystems and ultimately advance the conversation on climate change adaptation in Surrey. This role will also provide support for other sustainability initiatives as needed.
Using your knowledge of project coordination, equity, and community engagement strategies you will:
- Lead the urban heat project in Surrey’s City Centre including planning, development, implementation, and evaluation.
- Complete research, consolidate and analyze data, and provide comprehensive reports and summaries, both written and oral.
- Analyze existing policies, plans, bylaws, guidelines, and procedures; draft recommendations, updates and amendments.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships and partnerships with stakeholders (e.g. external agencies, City staff, media, various levels of government, business, residents, etc.).
- Develop a communications plan and create project-related communications materials, including online and social media, print media, surveys, educational materials, etc.
- Organize, coordinate, and participate in community meetings and public engagement events (e.g. stakeholder committees, workshops, public consultations, special events, business outreach, presentations, etc.) to promote sustainability projects and generate buy-in with diverse audiences.
- Represent the Sustainability Office by convening, facilitating and participating on committees to support department and corporate programs and initiatives.
- Monitor project budget and expenses to facilitate completion of project deliverables in a timely fashion.
- Monitor and evaluate project progress using a variety of metrics and tools to provide regular project updates and reporting.
- Work with Sustainability Office team members to manage consistent and strategic communications and messaging for sustainability projects. Provides input and recommendations to strengthen impact of sustainability projects.
- Participate in peer networks to stay informed of best practices, industry trends and emerging technologies through various knowledge-sharing opportunities.
- Responds to inquiries from internal and external contacts and the public in a timely manner.
Applicants will have the following:
- University or college level graduation in sustainability or a related discipline (climate adaptation, community resilience, local government policy, environmental sciences, sustainability communications, planning) and 3-5 years of progressively responsible relevant experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Must have applicable community engagement and a range of communications experience and expertise.
- Highly developed communication skills – both oral and written.
- Experience establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skill and leadership abilities.
- Demonstrated use of independent judgement and initiative coupled with strong planning and organizational skills to set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Strong research and administrative skills.
- Demonstrated ability to be creative and innovative.
- Broad knowledge of the philosophy and objectives of sustainability, communications, equity, and community engagement.
- Broad general knowledge of demographics and methodologies of responding to diverse community needs.
- Good knowledge of applicable computer applications.
Apply online at www.surreycareers.ca