Civil EngineerVancouver, British Columbia
About the Opportunity
Over the last several years, our Infrastructure Practice has grown, and we have been a part of several exciting projects throughout the province of BC, including universities, hospitals, affordable housing, and major infrastructure/transportation projects. We are seeking a civil engineer to play a large role in growth of the practice and in particular, leading delivery of designs for these projects throughout BC.
In this role you will assist in the planning, design, and construction of infrastructure projects, with a focus on site servicing of large institutions and facilities, as well as on major infrastructure projects. Due to the varying skills of the individual, there will be opportunity to work within multiple markets and regions. We are looking for someone who has demonstrated experience, entrepreneurial drive, and passion:
- To support the continued growth of our engineering practice, including leveraging existing client relationships;
- Ensuring quality control of our designs and deliverables;
- Communicating with project leaders;
- Performing a variety of defined assignments with independent judgment;
- Advising and review of technical challenges;
- Assisting with project timelines and ensuring deadlines are met;
- To connect with and leverage the in-house expertise of our broader engineering practice and work in concert to develop client relationships and deliver project work; and
- To support and provide technical leadership/oversight on our engineering project needs for a wide range of projects to ensure we are delivering high quality projects to our clients.
We are looking for an experienced professional who can work with us in continuing to build our practice with a particular emphasis on civil engineering, design leadership, and project team relations. Our preferred candidate will have at minimum four (4) years of experience and knowledge of general municipal utility design and construction projects. Familiarity with multi-disciplinary complex projects will be an asset. We are looking for an individual who will fit with our practice vision and company culture. In addition, the following attributes would be considered of great benefit to this role:
- You are suited to consulting given your instincts for:
- Having the ability to listen to others to develop and nurture positive interpersonal relationships with people from varying backgrounds, including colleagues and clients;
- Generating practical solutions to problems in a collaborative work environment; and
- Working hard to deliver value to our clients and the communities in which we work.
- You thrive in a self-directed work environment. You take initiative, are a problem solver, and continually deliver consistent, high quality work;
- You are passionate about understanding key community dynamics and working closely with clients and stakeholders to provide innovative and ‘out of the box’ solutions;
- You are able to demonstrate progressive project experience in general civil engineering including:
- Interface with clients, demonstrate firm's capabilities, and determine clients' needs;
- Lead preliminary and detailed engineering design assignments;
- Act as project engineer for projects involving design drawings, specifications, cost estimates, schedules and tender documents;
- Coordinate and expedite activities of a civil design team to achieve project objectives;
- Review activities, costs, operations and forecast data to determine project team progress toward stated objectives;
- Assign junior personnel to various projects and monitor their progress;
- Coordinate with project managers and various discipline engineers and ensure consistency in execution of civil design activities to complete project work on time, on budget and within the quality standards of the firm; and
- Guide and mentor junior engineers and designers.
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including all levels of government, Indigenous communities, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of over 450 people, across multiple branch offices, is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes.
Our Commitment to You
At Urban Systems, we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who we believe will thrive in Urban Systems over the long term. We’ve become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart and provides:
- Challenging and interesting project opportunities;
- A fun workplace, where hard work accomplishes great things;
- Flexible work environment;
- The opportunity to work with industry leading professionals in a collaborative environment;
- Ongoing career development and learning; and
- Meaningful rewards and recognition.
How to Apply
If this describes your background, your skills and your natural talents, please check out our website for more information and submit your resume and covering letter along with a completed Candidate Questionnaire (available for download on our site).
Deadline for applications: Sunday October 27, 2019