Regular Full-Time (35 hours per week)
The City of White Rock is a unique, ocean-side community of 20,000 citizens known for its sunny weather, expansive beach, historic pier, delightful restaurants, and sense of community. The City is located half an hour south of Vancouver on the shore of Semiahmoo Bay.
The Planning & Development Services Department seeks an experienced and customer-focused individual to join their team on a regular full-time basis (35 hours per week). As a member of the Building Services team, you will examine plans and permit applications relating to residential and small commercial development for compliance with applicable bylaws, regulations and building codes. The Plans Examiner coordinates the review of applications through internal departments, prepares and issues building permits after necessary requirements have been met and participates in site visits as required. The ideal individual for this position thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and possesses excellent customer service, interpersonal, conflict management, communication and organization skills.
- Graduation from an institute of technology in architecture or building technology plus sound related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- BOABC Level 1 Certification.
- Possess and maintain a valid BC Class 5 driver’s licence with a safe driving record.
- Proficiency in the use of computer software programs including Microsoft Office.
- Considerable knowledge of the hazards and proper safety precautions applicable to the work.
- Considerable knowledge of municipal building and zoning bylaws, the BC Building Code, departmental regulations and policies, and sound knowledge of standard building construction practices and materials.
- Considerable knowledge of bylaws, regulations and policies governing the issuance of permits.
- Ability to read plans, specifications and technical drawings, and the ability understand technical data and to suggest corrections and changes where required.
- Ability to identify the need for additional submissions and approvals, coordinate receipt and reviews of same, and check the completeness and accuracy of specific specialist reports and covenants.
- Ability to calculate stress and loading calculations of beams, footings, and other structural components; and ability to calculate construction cost estimates and prepare drawings, correspondence and reports related to the work.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing, and to research and compose a variety correspondence related to the work.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others and to make a positive contribution to a team environment;
- Ability to prioritize workloads, to work independently with minimal guidelines and supervision, and to perform tasks under periodic work pressure, with the highest degree of accuracy and efficiency;
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively and courteously with property owners, builders, professional specialists and other internal and external clients to interpret and explain bylaws, regulations and requirements and ability to apply conflict management skills when necessary.
- Experience with Tempest/Prospero considered an asset.
The hourly wage range of this regular full-time unionized position is $32.25 - $37.97 (2019 rates) with comprehensive benefits offered. If your experience and education have prepared you for success in this role and you are committed to working in a manner that supports a respectful, healthy, and safe environment, we invite you to apply. Please submit your cover letter, resume for consideration by the application deadline. Note only complete applications will be considered.
Thank you for your interest. Only selected applicants will be contacted
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Submit your application: Apply online at www.whiterockcity.ca/jobs
Recruitment Reference: 2019-24