Wastewater Operator II
“Where the Rainforest Meets the Sea”
Wastewater Operator II (Permanent)
Located on the south-western tip of Vancouver Island, BC, Sooke has a sheltered harbor, and is a scenic forty-five-minute drive from BC's capital city, Victoria. As a part of a temperate rainforest, the Sooke district has one of the mildest climates in Canada. Characterized by warm, dry summers and mild winters, Sooke’s pleasant climate is a year-round paradise for those who enjoy outdoor activities, such as hiking, biking, kayaking or sailing.
The District of Sooke has a permanent employment opportunity for a Wastewater Operator II. Reporting to the Wastewater Lead Operator, the Wastewater Operator II will ensure optimal results by undertaking the work of operations and by performing standard Wastewater Collection and Wastewater Treatment System operations, maintenance and repairs. The Operator II is a team-oriented and self-motivated individual. The Wastewater Operator II should possess strong results orientation with commitment to quality service and excellence to ensure the safe and efficient operations of the plant. The Wastewater Operator II should possess willingness to maintain and upgrade certification in the disciplines of Wastewater Treatment and Wastewater Collection.
This position also requires highly developed analytical, troubleshooting and decision-making skills. Maintains a high level of safety awareness and demonstrate safe work practices at all times. To be considered for this role, applicants should have:
- Completion of Grade 12 or recognized equivalent, supplemented by a post-secondary education in Water and Wastewater Technology.
- Minimum three (3) years of directly related experience in the wastewater field.
- Minimum of Level II certification in Wastewater Collection and Level II certification in Wastewater Treatment.
- Knowledge of treatment processes, laboratory procedures and equipment.
- Knowledge of electrical, instrumentation and SCADA systems.
- Knowledge of safe work procedures, WHMIS, confined space entry, first aid and TDG.
- Ability to be on standby and respond within 30 minutes to after hours calls.
- Valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s License. A Driver Abstract will be required.
- Able to meet the physical demands of the position
This is a CUPE Local 374 position. The salary for the Wastewater Operator II is $33.08/hour, plus an excellent benefit package.
To view the full job description, visit the employment page of our website at www.sooke.ca/employment Please quote 2019-008 Wastewater Operator II in the subject of your email, and submit your detailed resume and cover letter outlining your interest and experience for this opportunity to: email@example.com.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 4:30 p.m. on Sunday, October 20, 2019.
The District of Sooke thanks all applicants for their interest and advises that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.