Chief Administrative Officer
District of Invermere
is seeking a new
Chief Administrative Officer
Are you an inspirational and collaborative leader, with wide ranging skills and an impeccable record in the private or public sector (preferably both)?
Are you that person that “makes it happen” wherever you find yourself?
If you are ready for your next career adventure in a place where you can have a full and rewarding experience then Invermere wants to hear from you!
Invermere, is a vibrant community of 3200 people tucked between the Purcells and the Rocky Mountains. Located on the shores of Lake Windermere and the gateway to the Columbia River Wetlands, summer and winter provide extensive outdoor experiences minutes from your door. If you are more of an adventurer, an abundance of backcountry lakes, streams and hiking trails are a short drive away. Invermere is truly an outdoor enthusiast’s paradise.
With an influx of second homeowners and a growing tourism industry, weekends and the summer months see the community grow to twice its normal size. With a large unincorporated area on our boundary, Invermere provides services to over 20,000 people during peak vacation times.
Invermere is committed to becoming a more sustainable and resilient community through our Imagine Invermere Sustainability Plan and Official Community Plan. Your commitment to continuing our journey to become more resilient will be one of the key strategic challenges that the CAO will manage. As a seasoned land use planner, engineer or public administration professional, you will be involved in all aspects of operating the organization.
We are looking for an inspirational people leader to take the helm as our next Chief Administrative Officer. We are looking for someone who has as much passion about our community as they do about our organization. Municipal Government or Public Sector experience is important; however, more critical is outstanding leadership experience.
Our ideal candidate will:
- Lead with Integrity: Our CAO will be a value driven, authentic, decisive, self-aware, trusted and trusting individual who creates strong relationships and continues to foster them throughout their career
- Actively Develop Others: Our CAO will coach, mentor, inspire and motivate employees while developing and effectively delegating to their team.
- Deliver Service Excellence: Our CAO will provide a servant leadership style that focusses on a community- and people- first philosophy. They will break down barriers, take responsible risks, lead change, manage resources, focus on automation and service innovation.
- Be an Exceptional Communicator: Our CAO will seek first to understand and then influence others with outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Drive Strategic Orientation: Our CAO will be politically astute and visionary by promoting and assisting others to connect to the strategic priorities and vision using “big picture” and innovative thinking
- Build Organizational Community: Our CAO will be a collaborator, an ambassador for our organizational culture, champion for connecting organizational team and cultivate organizational alignment focused on ‘we’
- Exemplify Accountability: Our CAO will inspire agreement and believes in the philosophy of ‘say it, mean it, do it’, is decisive, takes initiative, holds others accountable and turns thoughtful ideas into action
The CAO will report directly to Mayor and Council and is responsible for managing the day-to-day activities of the District in accordance with the Community Charter and related legislation. In this role, you will provide timely advice and guidance to Council and under their direction ensure that all programs and services are carried out effectively. You will liaise with stakeholders, other municipalities and levels of government on key projects affecting the District and ensure that all major policies and initiatives are communicated to the broader community.
Education and experience:
- A university degree in land use planning, engineering, public administration, or in a related discipline relevant to public sector leadership.
- Minimum 10 years progressive experience in a senior leadership role in the public or private sector. Leadership experience in Municipal Government is considered an asset.
- Strong understanding of strategic planning, business plans and budgeting.
- Knowledge and experience in matters concerning relevant provincial and federal legislation.
An attractive compensation and benefits package is available for the ideal candidate.
A detailed job description is available upon request.
To learn more about the District of Invermere, visit our website at www.invermere.net and to pursue this challenging career opportunity, please forward your resume in confidence by 12:00 p.m. (noon) local time, Friday, October, 11, 2019 to:
Kindry Luyendyk, Corporate Officer
District of Invermere
Box 339 Invermere, B.C. V0A 1K0
CAO Position - Confidential
or fax to (250) 342-2934 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all interested individuals for their applications for this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.