Engineering Technician I - Kent Materials Branch
Engineering Technician I - Kent Materials BranchRequisition ID: 14060
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
You will be working as part of a team. You will inspect, monitor, control, and report the quantity and quality of construction materials while meeting required construction standards, when used in civil and utility construction projects in, and for the City.
The regular work schedule for this position is Monday to Friday, 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM and will be based at Kent Yard. The successful candidate may be required to adjust shifts and change locations as operational required.
Successful Candidates will need to be fit tested for respirators as operationally required.This will require candidates to be clean shaved.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- To inspect, test and control the quality of materials used by and for the City.
- To inspect construction work performed by private contractors, utility companies and City crews to establish conformance with City specifications and standards.
- To conduct a wide variety of engineering test procedures and analyses, such as Superpave Mix Design & Analysis, in situ density testing (nuclear densometer), mineral aggregate tests (specific gravity, Proctor, gradation, etc.), ready-mix concrete tests, and soil investigations.
- To communicate effectively in reports and also verbally, information and quality control results of material volumes used, to City staff and contractors, including measurements for contract payments.
- To inspect and record street and sidewalk hazard conditions annually, and to report repair requirements.
- To distribute snow notices to businesses and residents when required.
- To measure the displacement of barges, to determine delivered quantities of aggregates, and to operate a conveyor system.
- To perform other related tasks as required.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by technical courses in asphalt, concrete, soils and municipal inspection or other courses related to the work; graduation from an approved technician institute is preferred.
- Considerable related experience with materials laboratory and construction inspection work or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Some experience with handling nuclear densometers and knowledge of applicable CNSC and WorkSafeBC regulations is an asset.
- Eligibility for certification with the ASTTBC as AScT/CTech or as CPWI with the Public Works Inspectors Society is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Good written and interpersonal communication skills; ability to create and maintain good working relationships with co-workers and external stakeholders.
- Ability to meet project completion deadlines on a consistent basis.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve, identify creative solutions, and show leadership in new initiatives.
- Proven ability to apply independent judgment to the acceptance or rejection of materials or quality of construction or utility work.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and follow new test or inspection methods in response to the latest technology; ability to analyze, interpret and explain test results to both City staff and contractors.
- Proven ability to collect, organize and analyze data and to prepare clear, well-written reports, diaries and records.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and to perform some physically strenuous work.
- Flexibility to perform inspections at irregular hours and on the weekend as required.
- A current and valid Class 5 BC driver’s license and a safe driving record are required.
- The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: October, 2019
Position End Date: February, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-021: $32.25 to $37.97 per hour
Application Close: September 22, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.