Engineering Assistant - Ops Support
Engineering Assistant - Ops SupportRequisition ID: 14244
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Provides technical and clerical support to engineering staff by investigating operational practices and technologies, performing cost benefit analysis and preparing recommendations to achieve cost or emissions savings. Oversees and monitors operational projects, establishes small equipment replacement plan and budgetary requirements. Provides technical specifications for small equipment and rentals to meet operational requirements. Manages lease and rental specification, procurement and in-servicing as well as on-going billing.
The regular work schedule for this position is 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM, Monday to Friday. This position will be based out of Manitoba Works Yard. The successful candidate may be required to adjust shifts and change locations as operationally required.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Works with customers to gather information on the operational requirement and prepares technical specifications for small equipment and rentals; ensures that the appropriate authorizations are in place.
- Assists in the interpretation of the contracts to ensure compliance without compromising customer requirements.
- Tests and checks operational performance and ensures items are delivered as specified in the bid document; follows up with vendors to ensure that contract is fulfilled.
- Assists with the process of creating new contracts under the direction of a Supervisor, by providing technical information and describing processes and procedures.
- Liaises with selected preferred vendors for small equipment purchases and equipment rentals, for specialty equipment, or when the City equipment is being repaired.
- Performs the budgetary planning, technical support, acquisition, coordination, recordkeeping, maintenance planning and monitoring related to Small Equipment and Equipment Rentals.
- Performs capital program/budget planning for small equipment, including cost benefit analysis and provides recommendations.
- Performs capital recovery analysis to ensure capital repayments on small equipment have been collected; follows up on corrections and discrepancies.
- Performs operating budget analysis to ensure small equipment budgets are accurate and have been collected.
- Monitors small equipment repair and servicing needs according to scheduled maintenance and unplanned repair requirements; contacts maintenance service suppliers for information, prices, required parts availability and service response times, purchases services within specified limit and budget; transports or arranges for equipment transport to and from servicing and repairs shops; checks work for completeness and workmanship, resolves related problems.
- Develops and maintains preventative maintenance schedules based on historical data or new technology. Generates a variety of operational and status reports as required. Arranges for maintenance of the vehicles and equipment in the loaner pool.
- Determines if the loaner pool can meet the rental needs of the customer, logs the return of the loaner vehicles and equipment, & prepares any billing associated with longer use of the loaner vehicle.
- Reviews and analyzes maintenance and capital information to identify and escalate any equipment that appears to be at the end of its useful life or may not be economical to repair.
- Provides front-line customer service and initiates, monitors and ensures completion of the Work Order process for all small equipment and equipment rentals; initiates the Work Order process for the decommissioning process.
- Reviews, processes and records all small equipment and rental requests and returns into asset management systems; prepares, processes, and records billing and invoicing with asset management systems; applies applicable processes and policies in asset administration and customer service.
- Liaises with customers to ensure the operational suitability of small equipment and rental requests. Coordinates equipment pickup, processes equipment returns and and documents all records related to the closure of the rental contract (including all charges and any possible additional charges.)
- Resolves routine customer inquiries face-to-face, over the telephone, radio, and by way of email.
- Cleans and stores equipment in a safe and organized method.
- Performs other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Completion of diploma program in Engineering Technology plus sound related experience OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Related customer service experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of departmental functions, operations, procedures, regulations and policies applicable to the work performed.
- Sound knowledge of recordkeeping and cost control practices and procedures as related to the work performed.
- Sound knowledge of the computer applications and procedures as related to the work performed.
- Ability to read and understand drawings related to the work and to collect field information as required.
- Ability to monitor equipment maintenance and repair service completeness and monitor the related costs.
- Proven ability to prepare and maintain preventative maintenance schedules based on historical data or new technologies.
- Ability to collect, organize and analyze operational data and to review and analyze technologies, procedures and practices and prepare cost benefit scenarios.
- Ability to prepare and maintain a variety of manual and computer reports, records, files and correspondence related to the work.
- Ability to prepare budgets based on historical information and new technologies and provide recommendations on same.
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of good customer service.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal contacts at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and interact respectfully and persuasively with internal and external contacts.
- Ability to understand vendor / supplier contracts and agreements and interpret / translate the content for practical applications.
- Ability to carry out and analyze vendor / supplier contracts and agreements and suggest methods of improving departmental practices.
- Ability to make independent decisions with speed and accuracy.
- Ability to prepare documentation and reports of some complexity.
- Proven ability to maintain sustained attention to detail and good customer service during times of multiple request and competing priorities.
- Ability to take directions, and follow instructions and regulations.
- Ability to perform thorough, complete, and accurate work.
- Ability to read, write, count, and speak English.
- Ability to perform physical work in all weather conditions.
- A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License.
- The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: October 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-021: $32.25 to $37.97 per hour
Application Close: September 22, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.