Engineering Project Coordinator
Engineering Project CoordinatorRequisition ID: 13988
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Project Coordinator will perform a variety of technical field and office work related to coordinating and inspecting the construction of City infrastructure major projects section in Projects and Development Services. The work includes monitoring work progress and project costs, performing site inspections and maintaining liaison with and providing direction to a wide variety of internal and external contacts.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Coordinator will be responsible for the following:
- Assists developers and external contractors in the construction of Engineering infrastructure and coordinates their work with internal branches and outside stakeholder requirements.
- Establishes and maintains liaison with a variety of internal and external contacts; provides technical advice directly to developers, architects, engineers, and contractors related to construction management on City property.
- Attends preconstruction meetings and site visits.
- Coordinates the approval of traffic management plans, issues Street Use Permits and Temporary Special Permits to facilitate offsite construction.
- Exercises considerable independent judgement and arbitrates minor disputes regarding construction practices, standards, and methods.
- Conducts field inspections; ensures that all work is performed in accordance with contractual terms and established regulations; arbitrates minor disputes regarding contract interpretations, construction practices, standards, and methods; reviews and advises on proposed changes; monitors and assesses construction progress.
- Prepares and maintains a variety of reports, records, and correspondence including regular invoicing to the development sites.
- Responds to public enquiries and complaints related to offsite construction and traffic management issues.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from an Institute of Technology with a Diploma in Civil and Structural Technology, including or supplemented by courses in project management, plus considerable related experience preferably in a Municipal setting; OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Experience with and knowledge of corporate and departmental procedures related to construction management.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the methods, practices, materials, tools and equipment used in construction and installation of Municipal utilities.
- Knowledge of Engineering mathematics, and of Municipal engineering plans, specifications, contract documents and data related to the work.
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of budgeting and standard costing procedures as related to engineering programs and operations.
- Knowledge of relevant bylaws, codes, acts, and regulations governing the work including but not limited to the City’s Streets Restoration Manual, Water Design Manual, Sewer Design Manual and MMCD Standards.
- Working knowledge of Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including letters and reports.
- Excellent organization and record keeping.
- Ability to review, analyze, assess and interpret plans, specifications, contracts and other material related to the work.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other staff, owners, architects, engineers, contractors, and members of the public.
- Ability to act as a liaison and coordinator for design and construction projects.
- Ability to prioritize and organize multiple assignments.
- A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License.
- The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: October 2019
Position End Date: December 2020
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-023: $34.98 to $41.29 per hour
Application Close: September 22, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.