Business Analyst - Strategic Business Support and Information Analyst
Business Analyst - Strategic Business Support and Information AnalystRequisition ID: 14077
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Reporting to the Manager, Operational Programs and Administration, the the Strategic Business Support and Informatics Analyst is responsible for senior analytical and business/systems consulting work, as well as managing technology projects for Equipment Services. Support will include developing business cases as well as detailed costs/benefits and enterprise risk analyses. The Business Analyst will manage all phases of the projects including planning, execution, control and closeout. Creates and manages project teams to successfully deliver the projects and is responsible for a timely delivery of the projects within budget and to a high level of quality.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Senior level Business Analyst:
- Performing business case modeling and analysis of alternative technology deployment scenarios and documents findings and recommendations.
- Leading strategic planning of technology needs, future direction and deployment for Equipment Services.
- Developing specifications for IT acquisitions, writing Requests for Proposal (RFPs) documents, Statements of Work (SOW), evaluating responses and making recommendations from the perspective of the overall business/technology fit.
- Working with departmental business groups to identify business requirements and with IT groups to identify technology requirements; participating in or conducting meetings as required.
- Recommending technology-driven improvements to business processes.
- Developing and analyzing business requirements, preparing feasibility studies and developing recommendations.
- Conducting business process analysis (using Lean/ Six Sigma or similar methodologies) to conduct value stream mapping, identifying relevant KPIs, complete current state analysis, developing future state recommendations and building an implementation plan for a variety of business processes and value streams.
- Creating and presenting project and business level reports or topics to project team members, project stakeholders and senior executives, including creating and distributing communications materials.
- Managing all aspect of technology projects following the best practices of the Engineering PMO office and the IT PMO as appropriate (including the initial planning, preparing business cases, project sizing, determining scope, budget, creating a project plan and all associated documentation per best practices, managing the implementation, meeting IT standards and gating processes, delivery of presentations to senior level executives and finally presents a project closeout analysis.)
- Covering all aspects of project delivery from planning out the projects in detail, clearly identifying project scope, budget and schedule as well as project risks, project organization and the project management approach; creating and managing project teams to successfully deliver projects.
- Making effective recommendation on hiring of temporary staff and engagement of consultant; assigning work to project team members, specifying deliverables, timelines and quality expectations; monitoring performance of project team members and takes corrective actions if required; coaching and mentoring team members.
- Participating in confidential planning that may have City-wide operational and financial implications, developing and making recommendations that may result in the re-assignment of responsibilities between staff or organizational units within the City, and in the reduction of or increase to staff complement.
Operational Data and Informatics Analyst:
- Conducting spatial analysis and develops new reports for operational groups based on data from the cloud hosted GPS solution and other city solutions.
- Supporting end users in developing dashboards and metrics reports using various tools
- Assisting the business in tracking, reporting and producing status dashboards on key performance indicators (KPIs)-metrics.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors’ degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Business Administration or GIS.
- A minimum of five years of experience as a Business Analyst or Systems Analyst II in IT Systems and implementing business applications, with a preference for municipal experience.
- A minimum of 3 years of proven experience in leading, supporting and implementing business improvement, project management, process reviews and successfully managing change.
- Extensive experience with spatial tools, spatial analysis and products such as ESRI, Autodesk, MapInfo.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of statistical analysis, database design (especially spatial) design and management.
- Advanced knowledge of application reporting and BI tools; SQL and SQL Reporting; complex spatial data sets, statistical analysis.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Project Management methodologies, processes, standards and policies.
- Good understanding of Organizational Change Management principles, methods and processes.
- Good understanding and interest in current technologies and issues related to IT infrastructure and IT systems development and operations.
- High level of proficiency with IT applications; advanced usage of Excel, pivot tables, power BI required.
- Demonstrated ability to apply Project Management methodologies to projects for successful completion.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills; ability to write effectively, organize and maintain project documentation, status reports, effective presentations and summaries.
- Effective organizational skills and demonstrated ability to coordinate priorities and deliver high-quality and timely results under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to speak effectively in public through formal and informal meetings and presentations across all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research, analyze and solve problems, summarize results and make decisions or recommendations based upon thorough analysis
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to reconcile differing perspectives, develop consensus, and secure cooperation and support from both customers and team members.
- Comfortable in an operational setting and with the work environment that can include the wearing of safety as required by the safety practices at the different locations.
Business Unit/Department: Finance, Risk & Business Plan (1150)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: November, 2019
Application Close: October 4, 2019
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.