Building Inspector 1
Building Inspector 1
Stretching from Deep Cove in the east to the Capilano River Canyon in the west, the District of North Vancouver is characterized by innovative municipal government that maintains and enhances the quality of life for its residents and businesses. Fuelled by the District’s award-winning Official Community Plan to build vibrant and sustainable communities for people of all ages and backgrounds, the District offers exciting professional development opportunities and an excellent total compensation package. A flexible, family-friendly employer with an inclusive work place culture, we are looking to fill this position. Come work for one of BC’s Top Employers and contribute to making this a great place to work!
Our Permits and Licenses Section is looking for a seasoned Building Inspector to join the team. In this role, your primary responsibility will be the inspection of residential, mixed-use, industrial, institutional and commercial projects during construction, alteration and repair to determine conformity with established bylaws, acts, codes, standards and regulations. You will also review plans and permit applications for compliance to building and zoning bylaws and related regulations; process building permit issuances and rejections; discuss construction, alteration and repair matters with contractors, engineers, architects, homeowners and the public; interpret requirements; advise on required changes and/or corrections and carry out other relevant duties as assigned by the Section Manager.
- Diploma in Building Technology from a recognized institution and several years’ related experience and/or completion of apprenticeship in carpentry trade or equivalent plus considerable related experience;
- Preference will be given to applicants with BOABC Level 3 certification or qualified as an “exempt building professional” under the Building Act;
- Valid B.C. Driver’s Licence required (please attach a current dated Driver’s Abstract to your online application in order to be considered)
- Self-motivated individual with a thorough understanding of building construction practices and methods, relevant by-laws, acts, codes, standards and regulations;
- Ability to read and interpret plans and related material to recognize technical requirements;
- Tactful and effective communicator;
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
The pay range for this unionized position is $39.56 to $46.75 per hour based on a 35-hour work week, with a comprehensive benefits plan, 3 weeks of vacation to start, and the option of working a compressed 5-5-4 work week.
If you have what we are looking for and enjoy working in a fast paced environment with a group of enthusiastic and dedicated people, we want to hear from you. Please apply on-line with your resume, cover letter and current dated driver’s abstract at www.dnv.org/careers by September 30, 2019.
We thank you for your interest in employment with the District of North Vancouver and advise that only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted. A criminal record check will be conducted by the District on successful candidates.