(Temporary)The City of Penticton's Engineering and Design Department is in search of a highly motivated and progressive individual for the Temporary (6 months) position of Engineering Technologist. The Engineering and Design department consists of the Design Branch, Water Treatment Branch and Waste Water Treatment Branch. The Engineering and Design team is responsible for the planning, design and construction of the road, pedestrian and cycling network, water distribution system, waste water collection system and the drainage system.
Reporting to the Design Supervisor, the Engineering Technologist assists in preparation of detailed design plans, requests for proposals, reports, memos and letters. In addition, the Engineering Technologist performs design and layout work, prepares cost and quantity estimates, conducts field inspections, and provides a variety of information and assistance to internal and external contacts. The Engineering Technologist exercises moderate independence of judgment and action in the performance of design and related work within established guidelines.
- Prepare detail designs and specifications for capital work tenders and other projects.
- Prepares research, technical studies, reports and presentations on topics of moderate complexity, including undertaking relevant field observations and notes and verifying accuracy of the content.
- Conducts technical surveys related to municipal projects and/or utility installations.
- Prepares and maintains engineering drawings, as-built drawings and a variety of reports, records, manuals, and other material related to the work.
- Assists the GIS technician with the operation and maintenance of the GIS using ESRI ArcGIS
- Civil Engineering Diploma and be registered and in good standing with the professional association ASTTBC.
- Experience in a similar role in a municipal environment would be preferred, or an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of civil construction process, design, and municipal construction specifications and plans with the ability to develop solutions related to the above is required.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver's License.
- Proven ability to work independently to produce quality materials and recommendations within tight timeframes.
- Proven ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion.
If you are seeking a challenging opportunity and possess the above mentioned qualifications, we would love to hear from you! We welcome your cover letter and resume by September 25, 2019
Position type: Temporary 6 months (35 hours per week)
Wage: $33.08 - $36.76 per hour (Pay Grade 12, CUPE)
Benefits: Additional 14.75% in lieu of benefits and vacation