Town of Three Hills
The Town of Three Hills is seeking an energetic and motivated professional with superior leadership, communication, analytical, report writing, customer service skills, who works well in a fast-paced environment and can help drive the Town forward in accomplishing the goals and strategic direction set by Council. The position offers a rewarding and motivating work environment to demonstrate proficiencies in public works, water distribution, wastewater collection, roads infrastructure maintenance and operations, fleet management, inventory and experience managing with progressive and visionary leadership in a unionized environment.
Reporting to the CAO, the Director of Operations and Infrastructure will:
- Coordinate, manage, and monitor the workings of the public works, utility, waste, and parks and recreation departments;
- Facilitate communication between internal departments and external agencies or contractors;
- Research, draft, and review processes and policies;
- Delegate tasks and accountabilities to coordinators;
- Establish work schedules, supervise staff, and monitor and evaluate employee performance;
- Submit and monitor budget data and assist in the development and implementation of capital projects;
- Liaise and coordinate with external agencies, associations and other operational areas; and
- Provide reports to external agencies, associations, departments, and other organizations.
The Director of Operations and Infrastructure shall provide the CAO with accurate and timely information to ensure municipal operations are maintained in an effective and efficient manner.
The preferred candidate will possess:
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Completion of post-secondary certificate in the field of engineering or considerable work in civil engineering preferred;
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a municipal environment;
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in a management or supervisory role;
- Proven success in working with elected officials, other levels of government and multi-stakeholders is essential;
- Knowledge/experience in municipal legislation, municipal operating systems and municipal finance; and
- Maintain a current Membership with the Alberta Water and Wastewater Operators Association (AWWOA).
- Ability to conduct confident presentations and public speaking engagements;
- Ability to demonstrate strong report writing, analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to work cooperatively with the management team and support other departments;
- Ability to use a computer with demonstrated proficiency and knowledge of software such as Outlook and Office; and
- Ability to make decisions with integrity and professionalism while serving the overall vision and values of the Town.
About the Town of Three Hills:
From its humble beginnings as a Village in 1912, the Town of Three Hills has a long history of community hospitality, pride, economic expansion and convenient locality.
Three Hills has the security and quality of life of a small town with numerous “big city” amenities. The Downtown sector features numerous shopping and dining conveniences as well as several service necessities. With 7 parks and over 4kms of trails, abundant green space can be found throughout the community. In addition, excellent recreation facilities, dynamic arts organizations and numerous service groups, all lend well to the Towns quality of life.
The residents of Three Hills take great pride in providing a welcoming atmosphere for visitors and locals alike. Social events are commonplace with many venues to choose from, including markets, live theatre, celebrations and concerts. Community events take place throughout the year, including the famous Cruise Weekend, the first weekend of June. The Town’s abundant facilities, social opportunities, and a welcoming atmosphere make Three Hills a wonderful place to play!
Centrally located within an hour of Red Deer, Strathmore, Olds and Drumheller and approx. an hour from Calgary’s International Airport, Three Hills’ prime location makes this community a wonderful place to live, work and play.
Closing Date: October 7, 2019
Qualified candidates are requested to submit a cover letter, detailed resume outlining experience, education, qualifications and references in confidence to Human Resources by one of the following:
- email (preferred), firstname.lastname@example.org referencing “Director of Operations and Infrastructure” in the subject line
- submit to the Town Office at 232 Main Street (marked Confidential)
- mail to the Town Office at PO Box 610, Three Hills, AB, T0M 2A0 (marked confidential)
- fax to (403)443-2616 (marked Confidential)
The Town thanks all applicants for their interest. The Town is an equal opportunity employer and all applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted and we regret that we are unable to accept telephone inquiries.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.