Manager Security Operations
Manager Security Operations - Re-PostRequisition ID: 13211
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Manager, Security Operations, is responsible for the development and delivery of site-based protection programs and security services within Engineering Services. In consultation with internal and external stakeholders, this position will create and implement policies, procedures and security plans, while promoting a culture of safety of security within the assigned portfolio. Including both strategic and operational aspects of security, this role provides integrated advisory and oversight functions to deliver established targets and manages security staff.
The Manager, Security Operations exercises considerable independent judgement in the delivery of objectives, through effective leadership in a service focused environment.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Works with business partners and Engineering leadership to understand and anticipate business needs and develop and implement security plans to achieve assigned goals and objectives.
- Oversees the development and delivery of security operating plans, establishing clear targets and measures in alignment with operating level agreements.
- Develops and implements mitigation strategies, policies and procedures to ensure the physical protection of people, assets and information within the assigned portfolio.
- Obtains and reviews security information to lead a data driven and risk based approach, through site assessments and incident reviews.
- Leads the implementation of effective loss prevention programs by overseeing loss investigations, implementing risk reduction strategies and assessing financial and other related losses.
- Requests and oversees the efficient use and deployment of contracted security staff, through the integrated security contract
- Provides after hours on-call function for City Protective Services as assigned.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Post-secondary education in a related field, preferably an Undergraduate Degree or equivalent education and experience.
- Industry recognized memberships (ex. ASIS, CATAP, etc.) and professional certification preferred.
- Extensive program management and/or technical experience in security operations, emergency management, risk management, compliance and/or business continuity (minimum 5 years) in both contract and corporate environments.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of security policies, procedures, techniques, principles, standards and requirements as they relate to the work performed.
- Ability to coordinate and oversee security operations and to develop, present and implement security plans, policies and protocols.
- Good computer skills and working knowledge of security system applications and operations
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports, present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, staff and the general public
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts
- Ability to respond effectively and enforce protocol with tact, in emergency, high stress and problematic situations, with City staff, elected officials, and citizens.
- Ability to prepare and conduct staff training and workshops.
- Ability to proactively review and adjust operational processes, to implement a model of continuous improvement and associated change management requirements.
Driver License and Record Checks
- A current and valid BC Driver’s License and a Satisfactory driving record
- A Police Record Check is a requirement of this position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
Business Unit/Department: Real Estate & Facilities Mgmt (1100)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Application Close: September 22, 2019
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.