Competition No. 2019-62
Development and Engineering Services Division
$41.48- 46.61/hr (CUPE Local 358)
(Full Time, Temporary)
The Municipality of North Cowichan (population 30,000) is located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Southern Vancouver Island, between Nanaimo and Victoria. Our communities of Chemainus, Crofton, Maple Bay, and the South End including University Village, are home to a multitude of artistic, cultural and outdoor recreational activities. The Municipality provides a stable and varied work environment, competitive pay and benefits.
We invite applications from candidates with the proven skills, qualifications and abilities for the position of Planner, on a temporary basis for up to 18-months, anticipating to begin mid-November 2019.
This is an exciting professional opportunity for an individual who has excellent oral and written communication skills, high level public relations and customer service skills, and a practical problem-solving ability. Our ideal candidate is a forward-thinking, highly motivated and creative individual who is passionate about development planning to join our busy Planning Department team.
This position reports directly to the Development Planning Coordinator, and core responsibilities include:
- Reviewing and processing development applications, providing planning advice to developers, other members of the public and Municipal committees, and responding to development enquiries;
- Participating in planning projects and initiatives on an as-needed basis;
- Working well as a team and be able to build and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Managing complex land use and development applications and to prepare planning reports with an attention to detail;
- Deployment to other duties may be required from time to time.
Required Skills, Qualifications, and Abilities:
- A CIP-accredited degree in planning (urban, regional, community, natural resource/environmental) or a degree in a related discipline (e.g. geography, urban studies).
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Planning Institute of BC and the Canadian Institute of Planners (candidate or full member).
- Experience required processing the full range of land use and development applications, including subdivisions, Agricultural Land Reserve proposals, temporary use permits, development permits, development variance permits and rezoning.
- In-depth understanding of planning principles, practices and processes in British Columbia, including applicable planning legislation.
- Ability to gather, interpret and compile complex planning, environmental, economic, engineering and design data in technical reports.
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and considerate manner (e.g. emails and other correspondence to the public, committee and Council reports, reports to internal and external departments, answering enquiries, and presenting planning reports).
- Proficient in GIS systems, particularly ArcGIS. Experience in the use of other design and technical software will be considered an asset (e.g. InDesign, Google Sketch-Up, AutoCAD).
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver's License; a satisfactory current driver's abstract will be required.
- The position may be physically demanding; candidate must be able to successfully perform all duties associated with the position. A medical certificate attesting to suitability for this position may be required.
This is a unionized position (CUPE Local 358) and the collective agreement may be viewed on our website.
Candidates being considered will be required to undergo a comprehensive evaluation of skills, qualifications, and abilities. The successful candidate will be required to undergo a criminal record check.
Visit the Municipality of North Cowichan Career Portal at www.northcowichan.ca/jobs to apply for this position. Please note that all candidates must apply via the Career Portal; we do not accept resumes via email or hard copy.
4:30 p.m. September 30, 2019