City of Surrey
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation. City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city— and their careers—forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey.
This position is responsible for professional accounting, financial management, budgetary and operational control. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing financial support and advice to City departments. Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure that all month-end financial accounting duties, and all resulting financial reporting is completed in a timely and accurate manner;
- Supports the development of annual operating budgets and long-range financial plans.
- Monitor, analyze and report on budgeted versus actual revenues and expenditures.
- Contribute ideas for process improvements to enhance workflow efficiency and maintain and strengthen internal accounting policies and controls.
- Assist management in analyzing and explaining budgetary variances, financial decision making and consistent application of policies and standards.
- Analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports and projections as required.
- Preparing monthly, quarterly and year-end financial summaries (including Forecasts) and business analytics for internal and external reporting.
- Support management in special projects and initiatives and ad-hoc reporting and analysis.
- Build effective working relationships with staff and management and respond effectively to requests for financial information.
- Supervise staff responsible for accounting functions and provide training as necessary.
- Perform other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
As a successful applicant, you possess the following:
- Successful completion of Core Modules 1 and 2 of the Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) Program.
- Effective communication skills both orally and in writing.
- One year of directly related experience.
- Thorough knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles as they relate to local government including Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB)
- Extensive knowledge of financial systems and computer applications is necessary
- Ability, knowledge and experience necessary to perform duties of this degree of complexity.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Apply online at www.surreycareers.ca