Waterworks - Development Engineer
Waterworks - Development EngineerRequisition ID: 14139
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The team of Civil Engineers in the Waterworks Design Branch provide engineering design, project management and contract management during the design and construction of infrastructure projects, establish water system requirements for development proposals, support water system maintenance and operations and provide long range asset planning in branch, departmental and city-wide planning initiatives. Individual work plans will balance a candidate’s skills, experience, and operational need.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Reporting to a Senior Engineer, the Development Engineer would support the Water Utility with regards to development review and water servicing:
- Completing water system modelling for various long-term growth scenarios including the upcoming Broadway Plan and City-wide Plan
- Completing pre-submittal, rezoning and development application reviews and water system modelling to identify water system upgrades and reconfigurations
- Conducting detailed design review for development-triggered water capital upgrades
- Managing the timely delivery of water infrastructure upgrades for developments
- Supervising a team of staff to maintain standards, customer experience, and performance relating to water servicing for non-single family developments
- Representing City Waterworks in meetings, discussions and negotiations with land developers and internal City staff on development and planning projects
- Responding to correspondence or inquiries from outside agencies, the public and other branches regarding water system operation and water servicing
- Collaborating with Water Operations to manage financials, quality and customer service levels of water servicing program
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering
- Registration or eligibility for registration as an EIT or P.Eng. in British Columbia is required
- Experience using computer design, modelling and Asset Management Database applications, including AutoCAD, ArcGIS, InfoWater, database and data management, MS Excel, MS Project, Infor Public Works/Hansen
- Design experience for pressurized systems and/or underground infrastructure
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of engineering related to hydraulics, underground utility design and construction
- Working knowledge of APEGBC’s Organizational Quality Management processes (or other OQM frameworks) would be an asset
- Demonstrated track record of taking initiative, moving initiatives forward and implementing change
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a variety of stakeholders, with experience writing technical reports
- Ability to build and maintain excellent working relationships with the public, outside agencies and other employees
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with multiple tasks of moderate complexity and setting/meeting competing deadlines
- Strong organizational and time management skills
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: October, 2019
Application Close: September 25, 2019
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.