City of Port Alberni
Firefighter (1 Position & Eligibility List)
The City of Port Alberni is a vibrant community of 17,500 people situated on the west side of Vancouver Island. Port Alberni and its encompassing valley are surrounded by forests, mountains, ocean inlets and freshwater lakes and streams, and offer affordable west coast living.
The Port Alberni Fire Department is a progressive and dynamic organization, committed to excellence in the delivery of services. We are currently recruiting for 1 Firefighter, as well as developing an eligibility list for upcoming vacancies. If you are interested in working in the fire service and are dedicated to making the community you live in a better place then we encourage you to consider this opportunity.
This skilled firefighting work involves fire suppression, rescue services, medical response and other emergency services. It also includes maintenance of Fire Department buildings and equipment, fire prevention and education work, and general public service.
Examples of key work activities include:
- Responding to various calls including fire/alarm, motor vehicle incidents, medical and rescue
- Performing various fire suppression duties
- Performing search and rescue of persons from dangerous situations/conditions; assessing patients and administering first aid as required
- Providing general fire safety education (e.g. events, hall visits, school drills, etc.)
- Participating in training, drills and practice sessions
- Performing various other related work duties as required
MANDATORY QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Grade 12 or equivalent • An accredited Firefighter Training program resulting in a minimum of Firefighter Level 2 Certification (NFPA1001)
- Physically fit for the position of Firefighter and medically fit according to the standards set in NFPA 1582
- Valid BC Class 3 Driver’s License with Air Brake Endorsement
- Safe and responsible driving record as demonstrated on a current driver’s abstract
- Valid First Responder Level 3 certification with spinal & AED endorsements, or equivalent
- Demonstrated computer literacy (i.e. proficient with Microsoft Office and other common software applications)
- Previous service to the community through participation in volunteer activities
- Able to successfully complete a Police Information Check (PIC), including Vulnerable Sector
- Legally permitted to work in Canada
- Proven history of reliable work experience
- (Please note that due to the callout nature of this position there is a residency requirement)
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Additional fire-service related courses or programs
- Valid BC Class 4 Driver’s License
- Valid Emergency Medical Responder or Paramedic license
- Emergency Vehicle Operation certification from an accredited training agency
- Post-secondary education
- Trades training or previous work experience in a trade
- Additional practical life experience that is transferable to the fire service
For the full application package, please visit www.portalberni.ca/employment-opportunities
Applications must be received by 1:00pm on Monday, September 30, 2019, and may be submitted to:
- Human Resources Department, City of Port Alberni, 4850 Argyle Street, Port Alberni, BC V9Y 1V8
- Or by email to: email@example.com.
Shortlisted applicants will be notified via email, and will be invited to participate in the next step of our recruitment. This will be a comprehensive testing process and it is expected that this will take place through the period of October 25-27, 2019.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected to move forward with the hiring process will be contacted.