Planner, Bus Priority Programs
TransLink (South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority)
TL Planner, Bus Priority ProgramsFTT (3 years) (20190535)
The South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority (TransLink) is one of Canada’s most innovative transportation authorities, founded in 1999 to plan and manage transportation within Metro Vancouver. We’ve achieved success not only in improving the transportation network of the region, but helping maintain the enviable lifestyle of residents and the viability of local businesses. TransLink and our family of companies (Coast Mountain Bus Company, B.C. Rapid Transit Company and Transit Police) are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers.
Provides transportation planning expertise and leadership to projects of smaller/medium scope in support of a designated program related to transportation policy, forecasting, infrastructure/service development in an integrated multi-modal environment.
- Contributes transportation planning expertise and leadership to the development of program strategies, plans and tactics and to designated projects.
- Develops transportation planning methods, techniques and models in support of designated program and project deliverables, ensuring compliance with department standards, policies and procedures.
- Contributes as a member of a program team, providing transportation planning expertise and identifying planning and project risks and opportunities based on analysis of transport data, trends, and issues.
- Alerts Senior Transportation Planner and Manager to critical issues.
- Collaborates with leaders and professionals across the organization, with a view to optimizing planning services and project outcomes.
- Researches and analyzes transportation data, trends and issues. Develops technical reports and delivers presentations for both internal and external stakeholders.
- Develops and manages relationships with stakeholders to understand needs, maintain communication and resolve moderate issues within defined limits.
- Provides technical support and advice to municipal/provincial working teams and advisory committees.
- Provides work direction to contractors and consultants and monitors contract compliance.
- Provides technical guidance to junior planning staff where applicable.
Qualifications Education and Experience
The competencies for this position are typically acquired through a Masters degree in Planning, Engineering or a related discipline, plus 3 years' experience providing expertise and leading projects in an agency specializing in planning or transportation.
- Sound knowledge of the principles, theories, concepts and practices of transportation planning.
- Basic knowledge of plans, products, roles and responsibilities of government agencies, NGOs and associations.
- Sound knowledge of Translink's decision-making context including its strategic context and organizational and governance structure.
- Solid leadership skills with the ability to provide technical guidance and expertise to other transportation planning professionals and to lead projects.
- Solid analytical skills including the ability to identify and communicate transportation planning and project-related risks and opportunities in an integrated, multi-disciplinary environment; includes skills to analyze transport data, trends and issues.
- Solid communication skills including the ability to write and deliver well-prepared reports and presentations.
- Solid interpersonal skills including the ability to build trust by consulting with others and applying a team approach as needed to achieve solutions. Includes negotiation skills as they pertain to making refinements to contracts and to conflict resolution at a basic level of risk and complexity.
- Solid decision-making skills including the ability to resolve transportation planning and project-related issues within defined limits, and to identify and know when to refer issues to others.
How to Apply
Please go to http://www.translink.ca/careers to apply for this position and view instructions on the process.
INSTRUCTIONS: Please save your (1) cover letter and your (2) resume as one pdf document prior to uploading your application on-line.
Please note that only those short listed will be contacted.
Having trouble applying? Please view the System Requirements & FAQ's by going to http://www.translink.ca/careers
Work Schedule: 37.5 hours per week
Location: Sapperton, New Westminster
Number of Availabilities: 1
Salary Range: $65,902- $82,377 per annum
TransLink is committed to employment equity.