Mechanic / Bus Driver
School District No. 75 (Mission)
School District No. 75 (Mission)
Mechanic / Bus Driver
Located in the heart of the Fraser Valley, Mission Public School District (MPSD) is currently seeking a full-time qualified Mechanic / Bus Driver to join our close-knit team of professionals. This is a union position with a current rate of pay of $30.14 per hour.
Reporting to the Transportation Manager and under the direction of the Mechanical Foreman, when performing the duties of Mechanic, the Mechanic performs work that is generally of a routine nature and involves the inspections and servicing of buses, district vehicles and equipment, on a scheduled preventative maintenance program. Little direct supervision is given in this aspect of the work once this practice is established.
When performing the duties of Bus Driver, you will report to the Transportation Manager and under the direction of the Transportation Foreman, the Bus Driver obeys traffic and safety regulations while driving in a variety of road and weather conditions in the transporting of students to and from specified locations. Work is generally of a routine nature with established routes, however, additional trips, both within and outside the school district, occur from time to time. The Bus Driver works independently and refers unusual circumstances to the Transportation Foreman and/or, the School Administrator on matters related to student behaviour. The work has well defined operating procedures, methods and limits established by law, the Board of Education and departmental policy.
MECHANIC duties include, but are not limited to:
- Conducts the regular inspection and routine maintenance of school buses as part of a preventive maintenance program
- Performs repairs on school buses and other district vehicles; such as cars, vans, trucks, tractors and grounds equipment
- Maintain accurate record keeping of inspections and repairs, as part of the preventive maintenance program
- Operates shop equipment and hand tools
- Responds and/or relays telephone enquiries on transportation matters, in the absence of a supervisor
- Maintains a clean orderly shop
- Performs other related duties as may reasonably be expected of employees in this position
BUS DRIVER duties include:
- Transporting students from designated pick-up and delivery locations, both routine and special (e.g. field trips, sporting events, etc.)
- Daily inspections of the vehicle, prior to operation, to check the safety of basic mechanical features, as per departmental policy.Maintain correct vehicle fluid levels including fuel, engine oil, coolant, etc.
- Daily sweep and tidying of bus interior
- Instruct passengers on safe operation of windows; and the use/location of emergency exits, fire extinguishers and first aid kit
- Maintain order and adherence to safety rules among students during transport and when boarding and leaving bus, following School District and departmental regulations.
- Bus washing as directed
- Report any mechanical problems as soon as possible to supervisor or designate
- Assist students in wheelchairs or with limited mobility in getting on and off the bus, and secure their seating for transport
- Follow departmental guidelines for incident/accident reporting involving bus or students to the Transportation Foreman as soon as possible
- Completion of basic records and reports related to inspections, student behavior, etc.
- Maintaining professionalism, ethical behaviour and confidentiality
- Perform other related duties as may reasonably be expected of a person in this position
- Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Residency
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- Secondary school graduation, supplemented by a current British Columbia or Interprovincial Trade Qualification Certificate, recognized in British Columbia in the Automotive Service Technician
- Valid Motor Vehicle Inspector’s Certificate
- Valid Class 2 License with Air Brake endorsement
- Grade 12 graduation or equivalent
- Emergency First Aid ticket (or willingness to obtain)
- A minimum of 2 years mechanic experience
Required Skills and Abilities
- Considerable working knowledge of vehicle general maintenance and repair of vehicles
- Ability to work effectively within time constraints and to recognize and adjust priorities
- Sufficient physical strength to lift materials and equipment, ability to carry out safe working practices including the ability to use appropriate lifting and carrying techniques
- Ability to understand, speak, read and write in English to learn and understand training materials, communicate effectively with students, parents and staff, and read and understand road signs and driving routes.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others within the department and the school district
- Ability to direct students, with authority and diplomacy and following departmental procedures, to ensure appropriate and safe behaviour
Preferred Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of school district operations, policies and procedures
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Previous related experience in driving large multi-passenger vehicles would be an asset
- Previous experience working with groups of children would be an asset
- Bus drivers shall not consume alcoholic beverages within 12 hours prior to driving a bus.Violation could lead to dismissal.Further, the bus driver will ensure that any medication, drugs, etc. that may be taken will not impair driving ability.Consultation with a physician may be necessary.
- The bus driver must follow Board Policy regarding Medical Examinations and Eye Tests.
- A Criminal Record Check and Driver’s Abstract are required for this position.
- Selected applicants will be required to pass a road test.
Interested applicants are invited to submit an application package which should include the following:
- Copies of all Certifications
- Copy of Class 2 License
We regret only short-listed applicants will be notified. Please submit your application to: HRSupport@mpsd.ca