Justice Institute of BC
Assistant ControllerDate: August 15, 2019
APPLICATIONS ARE INVITED FOR THE FOLLOWING FULL-TIME REGULAR POSITION
Finance & Administration
Kirsten Chan, Controller, Finance & Administration
Justice Institute of British Columbia:
Justice Institute of British Columbia (JIBC) is Canada’s leading public safety educator – a public post-secondary educational institution that has earned a worldwide reputation for excellence and innovation. JIBC educational programs and services are delivered to government agencies, community organizations, private corporations and the general public in communities throughout the province and around the world. Each year, the JIBC’s distinctive applied educational learning model attracts an average of 27,000 students, many of whom return as students throughout their careers.
The Assistant Controller is responsible for managing and maintaining the effective and efficient operation of the accounting services. Key accountabilities include: accuracy and timeliness of expenditure disbursements; ensuring revenue transactions are recorded to relevant accounting standards; the administration of JIBC financial management policies and procedures; and producing financial statements to trial balance. This role serves as a bridge between Registration Office and Finance and therefore is integral to enabling optimization of divisional relationships as well as ERP system capabilities. Significant overtime is required to meet monthly, quarterly, and annual deadlines. The ideal candidate is relationship oriented, skilled at building and leading teams, embraces collaboration, is consultative, and solutions oriented. This management role requires a high self-awareness and actively seeks feedback to improve performance.
Primary Job Accountabilities:
- Responsible for the overall management of accounts payable, accounts receivable and related functions for the Institute.This includes coordinating the job responsibilities to meet specified time frames/deadlines of expenditure disbursements, the administration of financial systems, compliance with statutory accounting requirements, and ensuring compliance to generally accepted accounting principles and relevant accounting standards (PSAS);
- Improves overall effectiveness and efficiency of accounting services;
- Prepares assigned month end and year end journal entries. Through the contributions of direct reports and position responsibilities, accountable to produce financial statements to trial balance;
- Other duties as assigned.
Revenue and Financial Accounting
- Manages the Revenue and related accounting functions and ensures the Institute’s revenue collection (student fees, grants and other revenue) and reporting function meet statutory requirements and established Institute guidelines;
- Provides direction to staff including assessment of processes and collaboratively implementing improvements to existing and new processes and policies;
- Manages the Institute cash handling procedures and internal control mechanisms that ensures supervisor and lead hand positions establish proper training for subordinate staff, who handle Institute payments;
- Establishes procedures that ensure that Institute funds are properly safeguarded and accounted and is compliant to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP);
- Responsible for the accuracy in the Institute’s general ledger, subsidiary ledgers, and all banking records by reviewing all reconciliations, running analysis reports, and ensuring that the necessary adjustments are amended by the line function prior to signing off on any financial processes;
- Reviews and plans systems changes with staff to ensure system functionality, changes, upgrades and enhancements meet the requirements of the department and the line managers.
- Manages the Accounts Payable and related accounting and ensures that the disbursement function of the Institute is properly administered;
- Provides direction to staff by assessing processes and collaboratively implementing improvements to existing and new processes and policies;
- Ensures that all statutory regulations i.e. GST, PST, HST, and Non-resident and other tax regulations are followed and adhered to and the procedures are established and maintained;
- Manages the internal control procedures to protect the Institute’s liquid assets;
- Prepares contractor T4A and T4A NR slips.
- Participates in the development, implementation, and administration of the department’s computerized records systems. This includes reviewing the business processes and implementing procedures relevant to data integrity, timeliness, and effectiveness. This position participates as a management representative on project teams involving major systems upgrades, modifications, and design.
Human Resource Management
- Guides the day to day activities of the Financial Services team by selecting, developing, leading and coaching staff to achieve optimum performance that supports the Institute and Divisional strategic objectives. Direct reports include Senior Accounting Supervisor and is also responsible for five additional BCGEU support staff;
- The position has the authority to hire and discipline employees, up to and including termination.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- CPA (Canada) designation in good standing;
- Bachelors of Business Administration or Commerce preferred.
- Hands on experience in all functional areas of accounting: AR, AP, GL, and payroll (preferred);
- Minimum two years current experience in a management accounting position, including supervisory experience, preferably in a unionized environment;
- Proven excellent team leadership, time management, and organizational skills are essential;
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of customers and possesses attributes that capitalize creativity and innovation that maximizes customer service levels;
- Must be detail oriented with demonstrated creative problem solving skills.
- Advanced hands on knowledge of Excel. Intermediate proficiency in Word;
- Extensive experience in a large scale, complex ERP computer environment and good knowledge to operate a desktop computer;
- Knowledgeable on conducting business improvement reviews and process mapping.
$69,440 - $92,586 per annum (Fair Comparison - Grid 10)
August 15, 2019
September 6, 2019
Please submit a resume, covering letter and copies of academic credentials quoting Competition # 19-54 to:
For more information about this position, please feel free to contact:
Controller, Finance & Administration
Justice Institute of British Columbia is an equal opportunity employer and is interested in broadening the diversity of its staff. We encourage applications from visible minorities, Indigenous peoples and persons with disabilities.