Manager Occupational Health & Safety
British Columbia Institute of Technology
Manager Occupational Health & SafetySafety Security & Emergency Management
BCIT’s Safety and Security Management department is seeking a regular, full-time Manager, Occupational Health and Safety. Manages the occupational health and safety function and all related programs and services. Develops strategies, plans, and policies in consultation with Director, and ensures compliance with international, federal, and provincial regulations related to all areas of accountability. Directs the necessary planning, due diligence, and quality controls to identify and mitigate health and safety risks to the Institute. Drives out strategic initiatives that support SSEM goals and objectives.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participates as a member of the Director’s management team, providing input to development of SSEM strategies and sharing responsibility for achievements and success.
- Develops health and safety strategies, plans, and policies in consultation with Director. Establishes a framework of health and safety practices, standards, and processes. Drives out strategic health and safety initiatives that align to and support achievement of SSEM goals and objectives.
- Works collaboratively with the Director and other SSEM leaders to support a strategic, integrated approach to all program planning, development and delivery. Fosters a collaborative and supportive team approach for all reporting areas, and with all other SSEM functions.
- Provides strategic advice to the Director and other senior leaders on the Institutes’ most critical health and safety matters. Delivers reports and presentations on health and safety program issues, achievements and status of key initiatives. Acts as a strategic advisor on multiple committees and teams.
- Monitors health and safety program practices to ensure compliance with international, federal, and provincial regulations as well as the Institute’s health and safety policies. Implements the necessary planning, due diligence, and quality controls to identify and mitigate health and safety risks to the Institute.
- Provides strategic direction to development and delivery of occupational health and safety programs, including elements related to occupational first aid, audio-metric testing, hygiene, safe working conditions, environmental protection (including hazardous waste and asbestos management), radiation, fire management, and other related aspects. Oversees audits and assessments to ensure program optimization.
- Oversees investigation and/or assessment of serious incidents and all reported accidents, making recommendations/decisions to prevent reoccurrences. Manages timely completion and submission of all related documentation and reporting. Represents the Institute in the delivery of evidence during appeals or to support the defence on health and safety related issues.
- Develops and implements a health and safety communication plan, involving dissemination of essential information and ongoing interactions within the Institute community, and also externally with first responders, regulatory agencies, and other key stakeholders.
- Acts as an advocate for health and safety best practice within the Institute community. Promotes awareness through education; plans and oversees delivery of training programs.
- Prioritizes, directs and supervises response to emergency situations where the health and safety of the Institute community is at risk. Implements required action, including the immediate cessation of any activity where the Institute community is exposed to immediate danger.
- Manages the research of best practice, trends and methods, and determines appropriate application to health and safety programs, services and initiatives. Participates in industry organizations, keeping current on state of the art initiatives.
- Manages reporting staff, including selection, coaching, mentoring, development, performance management and all other people-management practices.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT BCIT:
- Being a part of BC's Top 100 Employers, and a member of the CCDI.
- A generous Total Compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a pension plan.
- Access to Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development.
- Increase your knowledge with Tuition waivers for BCIT courses.
- Enjoy subsidized parking and discounted access to our fitness facilities (including classes like Yoga and Zumba).
- Additional Wellness and Employee Assistance programs.
- Undergraduate degree in a related discipline (Masters degree preferred).
- Designation - Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP).
- Designation - Registered Occupational Hygienist (ROH).
- Certificate in Risk Management preferred.
- Minimum 6 - 8 years’ experience in occupational health and safety management, along with exposure in the areas of security and emergency management.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to manage a team of reporting specialists; ability to build a strong team-based environment.
- Expert knowledge of the concepts, theories, and practices of occupational health and safety management, with emphasis on occupational first aid, audio-metric testing, hygiene, safe working conditions, environmental protection (including hazardous waste and asbestos management), radiation, fire management, and all other related aspects. Expert knowledge of the international, federal, and provincial regulations related to occupational health and safety.
- Expert communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to interact with internal and external stakeholders and authorities in the context of a critical incident or traumatic event, as well as investigations.
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to apply sound judgment in problem solving, evaluating courses of action, and making decisions on complex health and safety matters.
View the full job description here: Manager, Occupational Health and Safety
START DATE: As soon as possible
COMPETITION NUMBER: 19M298
BCIT offers a competitive salary, generous benefits package and promotes an inclusive workplace. BCIT is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only successful candidates will be required to have transcripts submitted directly to BCIT’s Human Resources Department directly from granting institution at the time of reference checks. If applicable, successful candidates will be responsible for the completion of international credential evaluations. All appointments will be conditional until receipt of verified credentials.
To apply, visit us at careers.bcit.ca
We are only able to accept applications that are submitted on the BCIT Careers website.